XIV - Show (Part II)

Another really long chapter later...
Enjoy!

I feel someone shaking me awake and my head bangs against the window of the car. "Ow!" I rub my head and sit up.

"We're at my parent's house." Vincent says and gets out of the car. I unbuckle myself and I take my time getting out of the car. Their apartment is as nice as Vincent's if not nicer. "Where's your necklace?" He asks suddenly.

"Oh, that bitch broke it." I pull it out of my bag. "But I have it in here." He nods like he's too exhausted to care. I take his arm and we head upstairs, up to the top floor.

"Act just like before?" I ask, getting more nervous this time. "If you forgot your father already hates me."

"My father hates everyone, even me. Just help my mother in the kitchen, she's quiet and she'll like the help. You can cook right?"

"I'm Italian, yes I can cook." We step out of the elevator. No one seems to be around. Shouldn't they be expecting us? Vincent pulls me over to the kitchen and his mother is making pasta, homemade pasta.

"Mamma!" He gives her a hug and she smiles and laughs. She's trying not to get flour on him.  "Mamma this is Jessica. Jessica this is Isabell. I'm going to go find father, I'm sure she can help you out." She just nods and Vincent leaves.

"It's really nice to meet you. I don't think I can make homemade pasta like you can but I'm sure I can help a little." I say as friendly as possible.

"Can you bake?" She asks quietly. "Because last time I did it ended in disaster." She smiles a little.

"I love baking! This is perfect!" She points to a recipe and I get to work. Half way through making the filling for the Tiramisu, she clears her throat.

I look up to her as she speaks. "Do you like my son? Are you in love with him?"

I'm so shocked at her sudden boldness I can't respond. A pit grows in my stomach and my face falls. I have to look down. All I can be is honest. "My uncle killed my fiancée a week or so ago. Before that happened I worked for your son, I was his personal assistant. He...he saved my life. Said he'd marry me. My uncle, who's only met me once, thinks I'm worthless. So I'm grateful to your son and I could say we're friends. We fight like a brother and sister but no, I do not love your son and I don't think I ever will. He doesn't love me either. We're so different and this world isn't for me. This is the first time I've been out of his apartment since...since Enzo died. I want your son to be happy because he has done so much for me, but I'm doing what I can to survive." I pause and take a deep breath in. "I'm sorry." I'm just holding in my tears. "I'm really sorry."

I always dreamed about marrying someone I was madly in love with; my soulmate. But life has funny ways of not turning out. What do I do to make this women feel better? She knows how I feel, she's in this world too. The only reason she asked is because she's in a loveless relationship and wants better for Vincent. She would do anything for him.

Just as she's about to go back to cooking I speak again. "Most of us didn't choose to be here. But...I'll, I'll try. I will try to make the best out of the situation. No promises of love but I'll try to make your son happy."

She smiles at that and looks down at her pasta. "I will have a discussion with him. He has my heart but his father's mind. Has he been treating you well?"

"In his palace?" I laugh. "Besides the fact that he doesn't let me leave yes. All my friends think I'm on a trip with Enzo. And I'm pretty sure the necklace he gave me today has a tracking device in it. If you ask him, he'll say he's been better than me. I pepper sprayed him and I've been annoying him to death."