XXXV - Attorney

"Vincey..." I grab onto something soft and when it squishes more than I expect, I open my eyes and see it's just a pillow.

I sit up and look around. Is this is our bedroom? When the hell did I get here? Was that all just a nightmare? I realize I'm still wearing my wedding dress, then realize all that wasn't just a bad dream. I must have fallen asleep in the car. I find my phone on the nightstand. It's the next day, I slept so long it's the next damn day.

I get out of bed and reach behind me to unzip the dress, but it's been hooked at the top. It's at such a weird angle that I can't get it myself. "Fuck." I march downstairs and see a group of people I don't recognize sitting in the living room. "Can someone get me out of this dress?" I ask and turn around, waiting for someone to unzip me.

A lady gets up to undo the clip and the zipper. "If it's at constellation, you look gorgeous."

I have makeup running down my face, my hair is a tangled mess, and I have dirt on the edge of my dress. I look like shit. "It's not. Thanks." I reply and head straight back upstairs to get a shower.

I quickly wash off the day before, get out, and redo my makeup. I get dressed in some business attire, not really knowing what will happen today. But I'd rather be prepared. I find Vincent's ring and put it on one of my necklaces, replacing the charm. I tuck it under my shirt before heading back downstairs.

"Nice to see you up." Marco says and hands me up a cup of coffee.

"Nice, you know how to make a girl happy." I take it, a little disappointed there's not something stronger in it.

"I want you to meet someone, this is Cecilia. She's your new assistant. And this is the legal team working on Vincent's case."

I smile and wave awkwardly, having stormed down here earlier this mroning. "Nice to meet everyone, but did you say assistant? Marco I don't think I need an assistant." I look over to Cecilia apologetically. Not only did I snap at her this morning, I'm basically firing her.

He sighs and shrugs. "While Vincent is gone, at least temporarily, you're going to have to take care of everything. You're going to need help. Cecilia already knows the business, she'll be able to answer all your questions. Now onto the bad news..."

"There's bad news?" I sit down and roll my eyes. "The fact that Vincent was arrested by a swat team at our wedding wasn't bad news enough?"

He hands me a newspaper, on the front page is a picture of me in a wedding dress leaving the jail and one of Vincent's mugshot next to it. "Nice job you made the front page!" He says sarcastically.

"Wow, you know my boobs do look great in that dress!" I respond. "I mean jeez what else could a girl ask for? I'm famous!" I hear a few laughs as I stare up at Marco.

"Your little publicity stunt means you'll be escorted by a security detail from now on. From what I've heard from Vincent you threw a fit when one security guard went anywhere with you. I don't want to hear it, this was your own doing."

"Fine, but that's doesn't mean I need a driver. I can drive."

"In a car chase?" He asks, very serious.

I shrug, he has a point. Then I think. "Car chase?"

"I'm serious Jessica. I'm trying to keep you alive and out of jail. You can't do anything if you're dead. I need you to work with me here, please."