XXXVIII - Playing the Game

"So what happened?" I ask through a strained voice, trying not to cry. I've had enough tears but my body hasn't. The anticipation is getting me worked up.

"He plead guilty and took a plea deal. They were threatening the death penalty, to dredge up more crimes. I don't know where they got the evidence but it wasn't good, Jess." Marco explains.

"A plea deal? Marco we never talked about a plea deal! Where the hell did he get that in his head?"

He shrugs. "Someone probably talked him into it, hoping that death was a good motivator. I guess it was." Probably Detective Murray.

I look over at him, knowing he's avoiding the obvious. "How long?"

"Life, first degree murder." He replies.

I look away from him quickly. "Marco I'm not ready." I whisper, barely holding myself together. "He has all this faith in me and I don't think I can do it."

He takes one of my hands. "You should believe in yourself more, have you seen yourself this past week? Absolutely incredible. Anyone else wouldn't have been able to keep themselves together."

"But I'm not holding myself together. Every once and awhile a piece falls and then the rest follow. Then I'm playing pickup trying to figure out where the puzzle pieces fit together. Why the hell would he take a plea deal?" I lean forward, confused.

"You're not alone. We're all here to help you get through this and help run everything, ok? You don't have to deal with any of this alone."

"All I know is that I need to get him out of there no matter how long it takes and put my uncle in the ground."

"Jess-" He starts.

"No, Marco. I will choke the life out of that man with my bare hands if that's what it takes. No one can stop me. So you'll either support me, or you can get out of my way."

Marco nods. "If that's what you want."

I shrug. "He's ruined my life, I'm going to ruin his. Starting with that autopsy report." I stand up. "Could you give me a second? Like to say goodbye to my Mom."

Marco nods and gets up to join Cecilia and Anthony in the car.

I walk back over to my mother's grave, now covered in white roses. I cross my arms and straighten my back. "I know I made you a promise but I can't keep it. Ramando is a dead man. Revenge will be sweet."

The game has just begun, and I'm going to win.