chapter 12

Three days later, We are having CSC2321 class today with mallam muktar, this man always fixes his class 8am, how frustrating, Zoya woke us up, we prayed subh prayer and I started toasting bread with butter for us, I made strawberry flavored tea, and I miss Malika straightaway, she's the one who always make tea for us, no matter how late we are, I finished and we ate, I kept amber's ration for her since she was still sleeping, by 7:30am we were done and head to school, because once its 8:05, you can't enter his class, we reached our department by 7:50am and rushed upstairs bumping into few students who don't want to miss their class, we entered and sat on our usual sit, 3 rows after the first row and Malika was sitting on the first row, we couldn't talk to her because if you cough in mallam muktar's class you are going out, we wrote attendance and after 2hours of his boring lecture, he left, the class was over, Zoya packed her notebooks inside her bag and me, I carried my single hardcover notebook, in a minute, Malika was gone, we looked everywhere but she was gone, obviously because of us, "shegiyar Malika, if I catch that girl am going to break her face, did she have any idea how much we miss her, the house feels so empty without her, like seriously, did she even miss us at all or even me her roommate, "Zoya complained as we walked outside the school gate, "I'm sorry babe, it's all my fault, I betrayed her by dating her ex" I said with a sad face, "haba Sabina don't blame yourself kinji ko(you hear), you didn't know" she said and I sighed a bit relieved. We entered napep and went home.

***

Two weeks gone and we haven't heard from Malika, since she does update her WhatsApp status, clearly shading me with memes and write-ups, it's obvious she is fine and avoiding us because of me and since that day I ignored Ahyan, I don't pick his calls, reply his messages, I bumped into him few times in school, I just run away and he came to our house few times also but I asked them to tell him am not around and not to let him in.

we were out of milk, eggs and noodles, so me and Zoya decided to go buy them from the nearby grocery shop, we entered a tricycle and went there, when we were done shopping, we went outside waiting for a tricycle to take us home when we saw Malika entering a car, "mai napep follow that car" Zoya said and the driver started trailing them, we arrived in front an apartment not far from school, "that's hauwa's apartment" Zoya said and we were surprised, hauwa was Malika's second formal roommate in the hostel with Amber, "how could we possibly forget that" I said, she and hauwa came down from hauwa's car and they entered the house, and we came down and asked the driver to wait for us.

we knocked at the door and fortunately Malika opened the door and was stunned by our presence, "how could you Malika, how could you, you left us like that we were so worried" I said impatiently, "now you open the damn door and let us in" Zoya said furiously, "hey Sabina, Zoya, you guys! shigo mana (come in)" hauwa said coming to the door and motioned us to enter, Malika turned back angrily, and sat on the couch and started taping her phone "Malika don't you think I deserve some answers too, you left that night, then to Kamila, then you left home, Malika I'm your best friend for God's sake" I said in high tone, "what Sabina? What else do you want, you snatched Ahyan from me, I told you girl, how much, I love Sani, how I threw my dreams away just to be with him, I came to this school just because of him, I'm supposed to be in Hong Kong studying civil engineering right now, I choose computer science and this school just to be with him, he never pick my calls, I never gets to see him, all because of you Sabina, and you are asking me why, you should give me answers too Sabina" Malika was yelling angrily and I felt like I'm breaking into pieces , "I never knew Ahyan was Sani, Malika believe me, I would never have meet him or date if I knew Malika, I would have bring you guys together if I knew Malika" I said while down on the ground, "it's not too late Sabina" Malika said raising me up, "but I love him" I said and I started walking to the door, "ya Allah who should I follow now, you Malika stay here, hauwa take care of her please" Zoya said and followed me, we entered the tricycle and went back home.