Defenders

Astrid's POV

It'd been a year and a half since Hiccup had disappeared. 

Stormfly and I were flying over a decently sized island. We saw a small village on one side swarming with people wearing black suits. There was a very clearly active volcano as well. How the village still stood was a mystery to me.

"What do you say, check it out?" I asked Stormfly.

"Sure, just let's check it out stealthily."

"Okay, spy in the forest until we know if they like dragons."

Stormfly nodded. 

We flew down into the forest.

We were getting really close to the village when I felt a prick in the back of my neck.

When I woke up I found that I was no longer wearing my Nadder mask. I tried to stand up but found that I was tied up by ropes. "STORMFLY!!!!!" I yelled.

"Astrid? Is that you? This fruit is aammmaaaazzzzzziiiiiiinnnnnnngggggg. It makes me sooooooooo happy."

"Good, you're awake." A woman asked me.

"What do you want from me?"

"I want to know why you were sneaking around my village."

"Stormfly and I wanted to know your feelings towards dragons before meeting you."

"Or... are you a spy sent from Viggo Grimborn to destroy us."

"I hate Viggo as much as any dragon lover."

"Well... if you're a dragon lover. Then you'll have to pass our trust test."

"Fine, I'll take the test."

"Just know that no-one has ever passed."

"Then I'll just be the first."

"Let's go. The trust trial will begin."

The woman I'd been talking to seemed to be the leader of this island.

She led us into a dark cave lined with lights. They untied my hands and pushed me into a hole which also had a cave leading up to it.

I listened carefully and heard the wind and patters of dragon claws against stone. Speed Stingers. Okay, plan... Speed Stingers respect people who are fast. Out manoeuvre them and they'll leave you alone, that is if you don't hurt them or threaten them.

The first speed stinger emerged, its eyes gleaming with anticipation. I smiled back at it.

The rest of the pack came out and I was ready. Ready for a dangerous dance. One scratch from their tails and I'd be dead there was no room for error.

The leader signalled the pack to attack and they did so in a single fluid motion.

The first tail struck at me and a twirled out of the way. The next one came but I ducked and it hit a different speed stinger instead. Freezing it in place.

I stayed on the defensive not ever attacking just keeping out of the way of their tails.

20 minutes later and it was just me and the leader. It smiled, "Give up, hunter. You're tiring."

I was indignant. Hunter? Hunt-er? "No. I won't harm you."

"You speak our language? What business does a hunter have in speaking dragonease?"