Prologue: "She Will Come."

I do not own Tangled the Series, any of the the characters, or the picture. Thank you.

________________________________________________________________________________

He was tired. So tired. the young alchemist's muscles were sore and cold as he sat on the concrete floor of his basement. His knees were pulled up to his chest in a futile attempt to keep himself warm. The storm raging outside screamed and clamored against the windows. One of the windows in the room was broken due to a previous experiment, and due to financial difficulties, the glass was never repaired, allowing the chilling gushes of wind through the opening. 

Varian was shivering. His tears had stopped around an hour ago, leaving him incredibly dehydrated, but he didn't dare move from his spot on the ground. He was waiting. The young boy had begged the princess around twelve hours ago for aid, for her to come and save his father who was being eaten by an amber tomb. The princess had promised to help. So why had she thrown him into the night like he was a rat to be taken out of a kitchen? It didn't make sense, but to Varian's credit, he knew his mind wasn't thinking clearly. He was aware that he was slipping into a deep, dark hole inside his head, and it wasn't helping that he had been staring at his father's helpless form for hours. 

His father was so close, yet he was unable to reach him. Varian had called his name repeatedly, but there was no answer. Varian, who rarely received physical comfort was craving it so terribly. All he wanted to do was hold his dad. To be wrapped in his arms and forget everything. No black rocks. No lying to the king. No broken promises. And no amber barrier keeping them apart. 

Ruddiger was a very concerned raccoon. The plump creature was resting on his master's shoulders in a heartfelt attempt to keep his feverish boy warm. It wasn't doing any good, but the raccoon was loyal beyond measure and would not give up on him.

The two sat in silence, aside from the thunderous snowstorm circling them. All the villagers had fled to evacuate, but Varian was stubborn. He would not leave his father. Quietly, Varian raised his hand to pet his companion's worried face, "It's okay, Buddy. Rapunzel will come. She promised. We can't leave. We have to wait for her and meet her here, okay? 

The raccoon didn't agree or disagree, but stared into his master's eyes which were swimming with hope. If his boy believed the princess would come, than so did he. The two curled into each other as the painfully frosty air bit into their skin. 

                                                                                         ******

When Varian woke up the sun was smiling gently on the winter wonderland outside. Despite the white world, the storm had stopped. The alchemist couldn't hear any voices outside, so he guessed the villagers had not returned yet. 

Rising shakily to his feet, the frail boy realized how dizzy he was. The world seemed to spin and he felt like at least eight cotton balls were inside his brain. He brushed off the snow that had found it's way onto his coat. He didn't start a fire, so the freezing temperature hadn't allowed the snow to melt. 

Varian looked around his lap and his breath came to an abrupt halt. Where was Ruddiger? 

"Ruddy?" Varnian's voice croaked due to lack of use, "Where are you, boy?" 

Hearing his master, the chubby creature skittered into room carrying a halfway eaten apple. Before Varian greeted the raccoon, he blurted out, "Did I miss her? I didn't mean to fall asleep. Did she come?"

The raccoon didn't answer, but his face drooped as if it were melting. Varian peeked his head outside and, looking at the sun, calculated that it was almost noon. The storm had stopped. Surely Rapunzel was on her way. He would only have to wait a bit longer before this nightmare was over.