Chapter 21: Incineration

I do not own Tangled the Series, the characters, or the cover. Thank you.

Before reading the chapter a small fun fact: being crucified was not only used in the Bible. It was a punishment for the most serious criminals. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Is it possible to be completely frozen in fear? 

According to a certain, young alchemist: yes. 

Varian couldn't move as he was dragged closer and closer to the cross. The torches illuminated the horrifying shape as if it was a ticket to Hell, itself. Biting his lip, the boy felt himself being lifted into the air. Unable to move or put up a fight, Varian's back hit the hard wood of the cross. He could feel several, long splinters invade his flesh. When the boy saw a man holding a nail and hammer, he began to panic; gaining control over his body, Varian fought like a rabid animal. In the back of his mind, he knew his skinny, wore-out body would be no match for the strong, ginormous men. Yelling and screaming pleas wouldn't do any good either. Helplessly, Varian watched as a nail was aimed in his palm. Wincing and crying out, the boy's peripheral vision became blotchy and red as nails were hammered into his palms. There was an overwhelming, excruciating pain shooting through his small frame. 

Before being consumed by the scene, Varian stared up at the sky. The moon was shining on him as if offering help. All he had to do was say the word and it would come to his aid, but the boy was silent. His instincts told him it was a trap. 

But could he really trust his instincts? 

The moon was so beautiful and welcoming. He felt comforted by it's presence. No. After everything he had been through, one would have to prove themselves in order for him to ever trust again. Closing his eyes, Varian desperately tried to ignore the pain, mocks, and accusation engulfing him. 

                                                                                          ******

Unsure how long he had been hung on a cross, Varian was very grateful to open his eyes and see the prison ceiling. Never thought I'd be happy to see this place. The boy thought as he looked over at Andrew's empty cot. Varian's back was resting against the hard, bumpy excuse of a bed which he had inhabited for the previous six months. He was overjoyed to be returning to such a familiar room, despite the awful memories it had. Nothing could be worse than what he had been experiencing, and after the way the people had treated him, he was more than content to sit in solitude. 

This had to be real. More than likely, the king had placed him here after the physician had cleared him. Varian didn't know how he had awoken from the trance the lady had put him in, but he was beyond relieved to be free of it. After several minutes went by, Varian decided it was finally safe to shut his eyes. He was utterly exhausted. Before a minute past, he heard footsteps. 

With a start, Varian blinked a couple times before shifting his position to see three familiar figures standing on the outside of this cell door. Reluctantly sitting up, the boy stared in shock at the three. "You're back from your trip?" 

Rapunzel, Eugene, and Cassandra stared blankly at him with their green eyes. "We've heard stories." The former thief's voice was filled with a certain cockiness that set Varian's teeth on edge. "We've heard you haven't been behaving and that you let some prisoners escape." 

"What do you expect me to do? Twiddle my thumbs this whole time?" Varian hadn't forgiven the three for betraying him, even though he did feel guilty for his actions in Old Corona. He had grown up since then and understood that he had taken things too far, but still, Rapunzel had done him wrong and had completely abandoned him. She wasn't a true friend. In fact, none of them were. He was still angry and couldn't get past this grudge, even though he was tired of holding it.