Chapter 40: Factory Reset

I do not own Tangled, the characters, or the cover. Thank you. I own Apollo.

________________________________________________________________________________

"A Wand of Oblivium. Erases that which you wish to forget."

When Varian's baby blue eyes opened, he stared up at a familiar ceiling. He wasn't entirely sure he knew where he was, but something was welcoming about it. He felt like smiling, as if someone nearby would swoop in and protect him in seconds. Still, he kept silent and calm. His head ached, and he felt a bit dizzy, but overall, he was comfortable. The feeling felt foreign. 

"Varian?" A deep voice sounded next to him. There was a rich accent in a baritone range. Consoling, in a way. 

Looking up to see who was speaking to him, Varian furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. He knew this man, but his name was slipping his mind. Images and sensations flooded his head. Being held, squeezed tightly, an embrace... He must have been distraught about something  to receive that much comfort. But that didn't matter at the moment, so his brain pushed the thought away. 

"Yes?" His voice was weak and fragile. He sounded like a child. 

"Do you know who I am?"

"I think so." 

"My name?" 

"Um- I'm not sure. You're a blacksmith, right?"

"Yes, very good!" The man had sparkling eyes, glittering with kindness, "Just take it easy." 

Varian felt weirdly at ease, so he wasn't too worried about where he was or why his memory was so foggy. In all honestly, he didn't have the strength to care. He closed his eyes, feeling drowsy. 

Voices spoke above him, but he couldn't quite comprehend what they were saying. 

"Why is he acting like that?" The tone was harsh and angry. 

"Calm yourself, brother, and lower your volume. We don't want to wake him." This voice was feminine and steady. 

A sound of glass clinking ringed through the air, "I've given him these to keep himself calm. It would be dangerous for his young mind to be overstimulated all at once. We need to ease him into this." This one sounded elderly. 

"So you drugged him!" The first voice again. Fierce as ever. 

A couple "shushing" sounds followed. 

A large, calloused hand, rested on Varian's forehead, which the young alchemist found reassuring. As if permission was granted, Varian's subconscious dove into the dark realm of sleep. Completely dreamless and empty. 

                                                                                           ******

He awoke to angry voices. People were arguing. One voice in particular sounded far more irritated than the rest. When Varian opened his eyes, he instantly eyed the loud man. He wore a crown and his stature was intimidating to say the least. Varian was certain he had never seen the man before. Next to him, was a man with snowy white hair and wrinkles creasing throughout his face. He looked kind. Flashes of memories spotted his vision as he recognized the nice man. 

"Apollo?" His voice was small, insignificant, and almost silent, but the physician had heard. 

Replying softly, as if not to wake a sleeping infant nearby, the elder man smiled, "Shh. It's alright. Just try closing your eyes for a little while."

"What's going on?" A weak sense of curiosity managed to find it's way back into his chest. "Did I do something wrong? Are they upset over me?"

Unsure why Varian would immediately blame himself without reason, Apollo's forehead wrinkled as he frowned, "No, no, Varian. It's nothing to be worried about. Here." The physician grabbed a small bottle of a substance that Varian didn't recognize. "Drink this. It will help you relax."