Chapter 12: The Moonstone Meeting

I do not own Tangled the Series, the characters, or the picture. (I own Apollo) Thank you. 

________________________________________________________________________________

"Do you need anything?" Apollo looked at Varian who had just recently woken up. The injured boy was obviously uncomfortable, whether it was due to the handcuffs or his wounds, the physician couldn't say for sure. 

"Um... I'm okay." The boy was clearly lying, but he was too headstrong and tense to ask for anything. 

"Are you sure? It's just the two of us here." There wasn't anyone to impress. There was no adviser in the hallway (he had left after the king called him.) There weren't any nurses about. It was just the wounded boy and the elderly physician. 

"Uh." He was still unsure, "Could-" He swallowed. The physician continued to smile at him gently. "Could I have some water?"

"Of course," the man was very kind. Varian was confused. How was he supposed to act around this man? It had been so long since anyone had cared for him or even smiled in his direction (kindly that his) it felt strange and foreign. The tender man left the room briefly and returned with a glass. 

"Here." The man reached out to help Varian sit up. Instincts kicking in, Varian flinched.

"I've got it." He quickly responded. The alchemist used his elbows to painfully prop himself up. 

Apollo noticed the problem at once: the boy did not want to be touched.

Varian winced at the sudden throbbing ache in his rib and chest, but his stubbornness outweighed the pain, and he pushed himself up against the backboard of the bed. It was an awkward movement due to the restraints, but the boy was determined. 

Unfortunately, it was all for nothing. 

The handcuffs would not allow Varian's wrists to reach his mouth. He couldn't drink without help. The boy's face flushed with embarrassment as the physician brought the glass to his lips. How humiliating... The alchemist thought. 

"So um, how long have I been out?" Varian inquisitively asked. 

"About three days. You gave the princess quite a scare."

So, she's back. That's just great! I'll never get out of here now! Varian's mind sarcastically pondered. 

"I was wondering." Apollo continued. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to. Some of my medicines and potions went missing during the prison break. When you were brought back to the castle, I noticed you had my satchel and some very interesting looking vials."

Varian's already red face blushed even more. He could feel a droplet of sweat forming on his forehead. What's he going to do? Is he going to hit me? I'm going to be punished. He's already has me tied up. I'm at his mercy. Varian's worried mind jumped from one mortifying scenario to the next. 

Noticing the change behind his eyes, Apollo understood that the boy was distressed. He better get to the point quick. "I'm not angry. In fact, I'm very impressed. How did you make those concoctions so quickly? It's taken me years of training to know what each ingredient and chemical does and can make." 

At first, Varian was quiet. He wasn't sure if this was a trap to get him into further trouble than he already was in. Biting his lip nervously, Varian spoke quietly in a voice that didn't sound like him. "I'm the alchemist, sir. I'm the one that fought all of the guards, citizens of Corona, and the royal family. I'm the... villain. I'm sure you've already heard about me."

"I have." Apollo answered, his eyes twinkling like stars in a dark night. "But still, it's very impressive. You have one of the brightest minds in all of Corona. The fact that you made all of those machines, created chemicals, and outsmarted the king himself, not to mention you're quick on your feet. You'd make a greater physician than I, that's for sure." He chuckled lightheartedly.