Chapter 36: Devious One

I do not own Tangled the Series, the characters, or the cover. Thank you. 

(Unholy screeching) Look at the art!!!! This outstanding picture was created by @Blinday Go vote on this artist's book! <3 

________________________________________________________________________________

It's melting. It's working! I'm doing it! I'm doing it! 

Varian couldn't stop crying. His body betrayed him as he began to tremble. The amber was melting, and his father was moving. He was moving!!! It had been so long since something had gone right; Varian could hardly contain the joy bubbling inside his chest. He wanted to scream and shout, but decided to stay quiet seeing as his father would probably not appreciate the sharp noises after being plunged into a soundless void for what probably felt like an eternity.  

"Dad, it's okay. I've got you!" He tried in vain to keep his voice from shaking and morphing into a sob. Reaching out to steady his father, Varian gently tried to lower the larger man's frame to the ground, making sure not to let go, allowing Quirin's unsteady legs to fall harshly. 

Once on his knees, Quirin reached out his arms; feebly shaking with tremors, he held onto his son for support. He opened his mouth to speak, but his voice couldn't find the strength. Varian noticed his father's hazy, unfocused eyes. It was like Quirin couldn't recognize his face. 

"Dad, can you-" Varian promptly shut his mouth torn between asking the dreaded question or not. There was an invisible fog over his father's eyes. "Dad?" The question came out short and had multiple interpretations, but Varian found himself unable to finish his sentence and instead stayed silent, craving for an answer. 

There was a gruff, husky voice that conformed into stay words and unfamiliar sounds, but the tone was Quirin's gravely voice. Varian's eyes widened. The noises continued until they morphed into a coherent word, "Va-Vari- an." 

A rush of euphoria streamed into the boy's body as if a dam broke and a jubilant brook overcame his bloodstream. Releasing several electrifying nods Varian couldn't stop the hot tears reflecting his eyes. 

"Var-ian, it-it's you." Quirin was uncertain, and seemingly unable to see his son. 

"Yes, Dad it's me." the smaller of the two leaned forward and spoke in his father's ear.

Something flashed over Quirin's brown eyes as if some of the fog had dissipated like steam that gathered on the lid of a clear kettle. "Oh, Son!" He wrapped his ginormous, unused arms around his shaking son, who returned the loving action. "I knew y-you could d-do it." 

Varian couldn't tell if it was his imagination along with his personal longing interfering with his mind's interpretation of detail, but he could have sworn his father's words sounded proud. 

Gingerly, Varian helped his father to a seat outside of his lab and away from the sickly, chemical smell of the amber. Grabbing a nearby towel, he affectionately wiped some of the liquid form of amber off his father's face. "Dad, are you - I mean - do you feel okay?"

"I-I can't see." 

"Temporary blindness is probably normal. It should go away soon. If not, I'll figure something out, don't be worried."

"I ca-can't hear t-too well." 

"I'll take care of that, but it should come back to you in a couple minutes." Varian clenched his father's hand with his own tightly. "Is there anything I can get for you right now? Food, water, a blanket?"

"W-wat-er." Quirin sounded exhausted, but there was a faint, weak smile on his thin lips. 

"Okay. Is it okay if I leave you for a moment? I'll be right back." Varian couldn't imagine how frightening it was to be hard of hearing and mostly blind, but his father was a courageous man and not easily disturbed.