Chapter 28: What Drives One

I do not own Tangled the Series, the characters, or the cover. Thank you. I own Apollo. 

Another shout out to @AyzBraiker cause look at this awesome drawing of Apollo!!! I mean, come on, this is talent! Give this artist some votes and love on their book!

________________________________________________________________________________

By the time Xavier had entered the castle walls, he felt an overwhelming sense of urgency, as if he was late to a meeting he didn't know he was attending. As the blacksmith made his way to the throne room, he had prepared himself for the worse case scenario. Being his observant self, the wise man noticed how tense the staff and guards behaved. 

Opening the throne room doors, Xavier's presence instantly silenced the crowd inside. The elegant and colorful room was filled to the brim with different elders, nobles, and guards. The blacksmith recognized the princess - who's eyes were bloodshot and puffy - Eugene - who looked as though he had run a marathon - the queen - who was clutching onto her husband like a child who feared a "monster" under their bed - Nigel - who was pale and looking oddly unwell, and the king, who's expression was torn between one of frustration, confusion, and sorrow (how he managed to convey all three emotions perplexed Xavier.) In the center of the room, stood a tall women with white hair and her face half painted. She looked tired and a bit rattled - like she was struggling to keep her staggering composure. 

Bowing respectfully, Xavier calmly spoke, "Forgive me for my interruption. I understand if this is a bad time. I can always come back later." He smiled humbly. 

Rapunzel jumped from her seat and sprinted towards Xavier, surprising him with one of the best bear hugs he had ever experienced. He chuckled as her thin arms tightened around his burly form. "Xavier, it's so good to see you!" Her genuine voice sounded as though she were struggling to fight back tears. Finally letting go, she stared into his freckled face. "Did the amber-? Is Quirin freed?"

"I'm afraid not, princess. I did my best, but due to my lack of information, I didn't know the amber was a different substance than the black rocks."

"Does that mean you found a way to break the rocks?"

"Yes." Xavier unwrapped the Shadow Blade and presented it to the occupants of the throne room. 

Adira gasped as she swiftly advanced towards the blacksmith. "Princess!" The warrior didn't break eye contact with the all too familiar sword. "All Shadow Blades are connected. Do you know what that means?" 

Suddenly finding her throat dry, Rapunzel swallowed before answering. "It means we can find Cassandra." 

                                                                                         ******

"Ah!" Cassandra awoke with a start. Her throat was scratchy and she felt an instant dehydration in her throat that caused her to wince. She was sitting against a willow tree with the Shadow Blade in her lap. Her old battle armor was torn to shreds allowing glimpses of her pale skin to shine it the dark night. Looking up to see what had awoken her, Cassandra thrashed in panic and fought to stand using the willow's truck as support. Directly across from her stood someone she never expected to see in a million years. 

"Andrew!?!" Her tired eyes widened in shock.

"Gotta admit, Cassie, that rugged look works for you!" A smug grin stretched across his face. 

"How the-?" Cass struggled to believe what was happening. "Why are you here?" 

He shrugged, "I saw that tower-thingy, and it peaked my interest."