Chapter 31: "Let Darkness Grow"

I do not own Tangled the series, the characters, or the cover. Thank you. 

I was super busy the last two weeks, so I wrote a particularly long chapter (almost 3,000 words) Enjoy! Ya'll deserve it! 

________________________________________________________________________________

The first unfortunate person Varian laid his eyes on was Cassandra. Her black hair caught his attention despite the fact that it was blending into the darkness around them. That just won't do. He snickered inside his head, as the black rocks underneath her light up a deathly blue. 

                                                                           Oh, Cassie, where to begin... 

You've done so many lovely things to me, haven't you? After all, you were my first crush, but I was a child then. I didn't know how the real world worked, and I obviously still believed people could be perfect. 

I was so wrong. 

You were the first person to hurt me, other than my father, but still, you should receive an award for that. My new element - the one that took forever to make - you thought you could give me something like a useless ribbon in return? You think that's going to make up for everything you did? In the end it didn't matter. My father wasn't impressed when I came home. Instead, I was scolded for being late - which is technically your fault. 

Of course, the Expo was child's play compared to what you did later. You beautiful, despicable person! You turned on me without any evidence. Before I even stole the flower, you had immediately assumed that I was the bad guy. I mean - you were right - but still... you had no faith in me from the start. Come to think of it, I've never felt more pathetic than when I'm around you. 

And then you tried to trap me in amber while I was in prison, which leads me to a certain fake hero. 

                                                        You tricked me from the start, Eugene Fitzherburt. 

Since I met you, you've always taken advantage of me. Treating me like a child with a toothpick of a brain. You also assumed I had evil intentions despite the fact that you had no proof. You only ever used me... just like Cassie. 

Oh, and let's not forget you also attempted to trap me in amber. That can't be forgiven. So I supposed I only have one other options: to give you a taste of your own medicine. 

Before anyone could react to the small figure on the stairs, both Cassandra and Eugene stopped in their tracks. Black rocks started crawling up their legs like a spider climbing it's web. 

"I can't move!" Cassandra couldn't hide her fear. 

"Rapunzel!" Eugene's anxiety started taking hold as the black rocks sprung to live, slowly wrapping him in a cocoon. 

"What's happening? Who's doing this?" Rapunzel screamed in horror as the love of her life and best friend were slowly being eaten by the rocks. She darted her head about the room but couldn't find the source. That was until she noticed a silhouette of a women standing at the entrance of the fortress. "Hey, you! Who are-" 

Before she could finish that thought, Hector slammed into her petite frame, knocking her to the ground as she let out a shocked yelp. 

"Rapunzel!" Eugene repeated as he desperately tried to wiggle his way out of the black rocks. They were rising towards his chest now. Both Cassandra's and his lower body was stuck in place.