Chapter 9: Of Fire and Beasts

I do not own Tangled the Series, the characters, or the picture. From here on out, the story will take place in the present, unless stated otherwise. Thank you. 

________________________________________________________________________________

The world was dark despite the fact that it was noon. It felt wrong to Rapunzel. The sun as no where to be found during the day and the moon was hiding at night. It didn't make sense. Rapunzel continued to observe Corona through the darkness. Pete and Stan were hovering over her shoulders, due to her father's command. Being the understanding person that she was, Rapunzel allowed her father this comfort without putting up a fight. She disliked her lack of privacy but recognized that her father needed this certainty. Besides, Rapunzel had missed the two dopey guards. They were chatty as ever and overjoyed to be in the princess's presence. Deep down, Rapunzel knew they would eventually get on her nerves, but for the time being, she smiled and shone like the Sundrop she was. 

Currently the two guards were explaining how each of the shops were fairing. It seemed everything was going smoothly. The people of Corona had used the lanterns that they raised on Rapunzel's birthday to light up the streets. It was a beautiful, festive layout that caused the princess to stare in wonder and appreciation as she listened to her bodyguards talk. 

Rapunzel missed the people, but she also ached to see Eugene and Lance who were busy ever since last week when the king had unexpectedly assigned them both to train new recruits. Everyone was preparing for the storm, except for Rapunzel who wasn't given a job to do. Hating the feeling of being useless, Rapunzel burst into the streets everyday to see what she could do to help. 

It was on this particular day that Rapunzel noticed a certain familiar shop was closed. "Hey guys," the princess asked the guards, "Where's Xavier?" 

"Oh, uh-" Pete stumbled, "He's been gone for several months."

"What?" Rapunzel's eyes bulged.

"No, no, no! It's not like that!" Stan cut in waving his hands frantically, "He announced he would be leaving for awhile. He's gone to some of the other kingdoms to pick up certain supplies and ingredients that aren't sold in Corona. I thought the man would be back by now, but you know the guy, he tends to get distracted easily." 

"I see." Walking towards the blacksmith's shop, Rapunzel wrinkled her nose in thought, "Why does he need the material? What's he trying to make?" 

Both guards glanced at each other, as if deciding whether to tell the princess or not. 

Noticing their peculiar stares, Rapunzel frowned, "What's going on?"

They both swallowed. "Well, Your Highness," Stan began, his voice ringing with uncertainty, "Um he's trying to create a sword that can cut the amber and free Quirin. He's been working on that for months - ever since you left, actually." 

"Really?" Rapunzel's green eyes light up as she jumped up and down excitedly, "That's amazing! It's so wonderful to know someone wants to help too!"

"Why is it so surprising?" Pete questioned, "Quirin was the faithful leader of Old Corona. He's a great man and so many people are fond of him. A lot of people wanted to help, but they didn't know how."

If Rapunzel's fate in humanity had ever swayed, it was back on track more powerful than ever. The princess could not hide a smile from her face. "If Xavier has been gone for so long, he should be back soon! That's wonderful!" 

What Rapunzel had not said was that a certain someone would be overjoyed to have his father back. Ever since the battle of Old Corona, Rapunzel could not shake the unbearable feeling of guilt. After Cassandra's betrayal, her feelings were even worse. She couldn't understand why she felt responsible for Cassandra, but she was fully aware that Varian's treachery was her fault. Yes, partially what had happened was self-inflicted, but in truth, she had been a terrible friend to the heartbroken boy. She knew she betrayed him first, and he had simply retaliated in an immature but desperate attempt to save his father. All to no avail.