Chapter 17: Deal or No Deal

I do not own Tangled the Series, the characters, or the cover. Thank you.

OVER 1,000 READS!?!? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! 

~SophieRose

________________________________________________________________________________

To say Hector was mad, would be the understatement of the year. His journey with Adira had turned out very differently than what he had imagined: he didn't like it. Of course he was grateful to meet his nephew - something he didn't think he would ever do - but he was upset that his sister had forced his hand and caused him to betray the boy. Would Varian understand? Adira seemed all too fine with him never forgiving her, but Hector was different. He had longed to be with his family for so long, Hector could not let this boy slip through his fingers. 

As the gang made their way to Corona's perimeter, they had to venture through the countryside of Old Corona. Adira whispered something to Lance, and the two separated from the group. Hector didn't know Lance had a thing for her, so he immediately suspected something was awry. Once the two had walked off, he leaned towards the former thief. "Where are they going?"

"Who know?" Eugene seemed to flippant about this. 

Looking ahead, Hector watched as Rapunzel talked Cassandra's ear off. It was clear that the blue-haired girl wasn't fond of Hector's presence, but she didn't argue. Pascal was resting on the princesses shoulder occasionally adding his own two cents worth into their conversation. Crossing his arms, Hector was very unsatisfied with everyone's trust in Adira and Lance. He didn't like where this was going. 

What the group didn't know, was that Adira hadn't given Lance a romantic suggestion. Instead, they were on their way to Quirin's house. Lance had patiently explained the amber situation and that there were speculations that Varian caused it; however, unlike many others, Lance had a different look on the situation. 

"I think the little guy did it by accident. I mean, he loved his father, there was no doubt about it. That might be why he took it so hard: his father's state."

Adira simply nodded respectfully at Lance. He had a beautiful insight compared to so many others. That was something she hadn't noticed in him until now. Perhaps she would be interested in him, maybe in a different lifetime when she didn't have as many responsibilities. "Did you know him well?"

"No, not really. I joined the princess's gang around the time he... changed." Lance looked at his feet. "I wish I knew him though. Eugene told me all kinds of stories about the kid. He sure sounded like a handful but also a lot of fun. Rapunzel always told me that he had a great heart. It's sad that I didn't really get to see him - at least - like how he used to be."

Adira thoughtfully listened as they approached the barely standing home. The guards had left their posts since the boy's near escape, so Lance and Adira didn't have any problem entering the house. Observing room after room, Adira's heart sank. She could see where their dinning room must have been. There was a  broken table, a fallen chair, and a chair that looked as though it had previously been impaled through the seat my a black rock. Wincing at the sight of the demolished kitchen, Adira followed Lance as he led her to the basement. 

Nothing could have prepared Adira for the sight of Varian's lab. 

Alchemy bottles and vials were shattered everywhere. There were several stray metal pieces and nails, bolts, and screws lying about. A strange combination of chemical smells filled the musty room with a very unpleasant smell. Adira was strong. She had seen much during her lifetime as a warrior, but even her experience could not prevent Quirin's frozen form from disturbing her right down to her core.