Chapter 4: Vehement Meetings

I do not own Tangled the Series, the characters, or the picture. Thank you. 

________________________________________________________________________________

The Present

I hate this place. Adira thought as she pushed open the doors to an old, rundown tavern. A man's far to loud voice boomed across the room, "Hey, what can I get for ya, Sweetheart?" 

It took everything in Adira's power not to grab one the butter knifes on a table and chuck it at his head; however, she was a master at control and kept her emotions in check. She did not smile though. Instead she waited for the man to make his way towards her, "I'm meeting someone here. I'm unsure what name he would have chosen to give. Either way, do you know if has he arrived?"

"I dunno, ma'am." The man had obviously noticed that this "Sweetheart" was in fact a distinguished looking women up in her years. It would be disrespectful and awkward to continue addressing her that way. "What does this guy look like?" 

"Black hair, yellow eyes. He was probably wearing some kind of fur." Wearing a fur was incredibly rare, especially in these parts, Adira was hoping the man would notice. 

"Ah, yes. Not overly pleasant, that man." 

"I couldn't have put it better myself." For the first time, a lopsided grin tugged at Adira's lips. "Where is he?"

"In that corner there, past the bar. I know it's none of my business, but you must be talking about something secretive. It's hidden behind them curtains over there, all the way in the back." 

"Thank you." Adira nodded at the round man. The polished woman walked confidently through the rowdy tavern, skillfully avoiding drunk men and flashy women. Finally, the tall lady stopped in front of the curtain in the back corner of the room. Swiftly sliding past it, Adira observed the meeting space. I was very small but there was a tiny triangular window allowing the moon's blue light to illuminate the table, two chairs, and the man with the fur. Adira nodded in greeting, and noticed there were two mugs filled with some sort of liquid with a familiar smell. 

"Your favorite after-battle drink." The man smirked. "Don't think I forgot, Sister." 

"Hello, Hector." Adira's face softened. She hated the man for his actions, but her old remembrance of their good times together was hard to forget as well. "Thank you for meeting me." She gracefully sat down across from him.

"You wouldn't have called a meeting with me if it wasn't absolutely necessary. What's wrong, Adira?" Hector's eyes had a fraction of concern in them, something Adira hadn't seen in a long time.

"You know me too well." Adira looked down at the table but did not touch her drink; she knew there was still a possibility that he had done something to it. She wanted to trust him, but after everything she had been through, it would be foolish. "The moonstone has been taken." 

"You don't say!" The yellow eyed man blurted out. 

"Not by the princess." Adira's calm voice did not miss a mark. "By her handmaiden and guard: Cassandra." 

Raising his eyebrows in alarm, Hector's voice was surprisingly steady, "Why would she do that? It looked like that girl adored the little Sundrop. That doesn't sound right." 

"Exactly." The distinguished lady crossed her arms. "Something is not right. I have my theories as to why she betrayed her friends, but I need your help and expertise." 

"Are you sure you want me?" 

"This isn't about us, Hector. This is about the Moonstone. Whether or not we see eye-to-eye about the brotherhood or the dark kingdom isn't important. All the Seven Kingdoms are at stake here. This is bigger than ourselves, and I need your help."