Chapter 32: Trick or Trap?

I do not own Tangled the Series, the characters, or the cover. Thank you. 

This took forever. Sorry for the wait. I have plenty of excuses, but none that are interesting enough to share ;) 

Anyway, enjoy this chapter! 

________________________________________________________________________________

To Lance and Andrew, Varian appeared to be having a seizure. During this intense moment, Xavier was perfectly calm. Firmly, yet carefully, the blacksmith cradled the boy in his arms as he faded in and out of consciousness. The boy's violent spasms were somehow contained inside the muscular man's arms. When Lance and Andrew reached them, both looked shocked and petrified. 

"You're doing so good, Varian." Xavier kept a sturdy hand on the cloth, pressing it against the boy's mouth. "Take deep breaths. A little deeper. There you go." 

Varian's blue eyes dimmed to his normal shade as he blinked a few times, cringing as his excruciating migraine pounded. He tried to move his face away from the blacksmith, and in the process he noticed Lance's concerned face. 

"Lance- he-help me." He whimpered.

Brotherly instincts kicking in, Lance knelt next to the tortured alchemist before being reprimanded by the blacksmith. 

"Don't go near him. It's a trick." Xavier warned. 

"What do you mean? Varian would never-"

"Lance." Xavier's eyes went cold and his naturally kind face stiffened harshly, "That's. Not. Varian." His spine-chilling words sifted through the tension between them as the shivering boy let out a whine. The small frame was obviously in pain, which tortured Lance from the inside out as every part of him yearned to comfort and help the boy, but he knew better than to ignore the wise blacksmith's warning. 

While Lance was concerned for the boy, Andrew couldn't help his more selfish traits to itch at him. At the bottom of the stairway, Gothel was creeping up the steps towards them. Survival mode kicking in, Andrew took out one of his knives and lowered next to Varian. Andrew and Xavier's eyes briefly connected and the Seporian nodded so subtlety it was almost unnoticeable. For a splint moment, both had a mutual agreement and understanding. Neither wanted to, but they knew what was necessary.

They didn't have a choice. 

In one swift movement, Andrew lowered the knife to Varian's shivering neck and glared at Gothel who was elegantly waltzing up the stairs with far too much arrogance. "Don't take one more step or I'll slit his throat." 

Gothel hesitated slightly but did not stop her steady ascend to their location. 

"I'll do it! He's your weapon. You need him." Andrew remained resilient. 

"You wouldn't kill him. Even a disgusting weasel like you has allowed yourself to grow attached to him. You couldn't do it if you tried." 

Just like when Varian cut Nigel's nose, Andrew did the same to Varian's cheek. The boy, who was clearly out of it, barely flinched, not comprehending the minuscule pain in comparison to the extreme discomfort racking his body. A small stream of red dripped down his face and to his neck. Xavier gingerly wiped the shallow cut. "Don't test me women!" Andrew shouted. 

Lance, miraculously catching on to the plot, remained still. 

Gothel finally stopped her movement and watched cautiously. "What do you want?" 

"Safe passage." Andrew immediately responded. Something told the bystanders that this wasn't the Seporians first time having to bargain his way out of a situation. It came with his risky business, but, no mater how much experience the man had, he had never faced an opponent as cunning or powerful as her. He couldn't mess up. Of course, he couldn't forget she was also a witch. That's not something to ignore. "Safe passage out of here and you need to free everyone in the foyer. And let the princess heal all of the Seporians before we leave. Also, no attacking us."