Chapter 21

I walk into Arthur's room slowly peeking my head through first, he's sitting up on the bed not looking so good. I pull the chair closer to his bed near the headboard and sit down quietly. I have no idea what to say, I'm not good a these types of things and I'm shitting myself, no idea why.

"As you know I won't be here very long.." he sighs, "I have sepsis and I've caught it late so I could be alive and dead the next, even though there are treatments they aren't guaranteed to work.."

Sepsis is a disease in the bloodstream or other tissues in the body which is resulting in malfunctioning of different organs, shock and well..death.

"I wish I could be there, and watch if my daughter was to get married..I wish I could watch her grow old with the love of her life and watch her lead a happy family and become successful and I really wish I could watch my grandchildren grow up but I can't. You know..she sat here for forty-five minutes crying to me, saying 'She needs me', 'You can't leave me, I'll be all alone' and 'I'll have no one left', it was so incredibly hard to hear, I wish I had a choice whether I die or don't but life doesn't work that way unfortunately. I want you to promise me something Hunter.."

I nod my head slowly, my chest is slowly heaving up and down as though am calm but in reality it's beating rapidly of the unknown, of what he wants me to promise.

"I've never liked you Hunter, not after you broke my little Brinley's heart and left my granddaughter but..I see the way she looks at you, she never looks at Kai that way, so i need you to promise me even if you both don't find each other again. Never leave her especially after coming back into their lives, never leave the both of them..they'll need you and I need you to make my daughter happiest woman in the world even if that's stepping back and watching her marry someone else. I just need you to look after my daughter and your own daughter..promise me" he says calmly.

"I promise" Brinley means the world to me along with that little girl, there is no way I'm ever leaving again.

We chat for a few more minute and after I leave him to get some sleep, I head downstairs.

"Hey" I say to Brax sitting in the living room.

"Hey" he says turning the tv off and standing up. "I just wanted to see if you were okay before I left to go back to the hotel" he smiles.

"Oh alright, where's Brin and Elle?" I scan the room.

"She went upstairs not long ago with Elle in her arms, assuming she was putting Elle to bed but she didn't say anything"

"And Kai?" I grit through my teeth.

"He left, said to Brinley he needs to think things through" I says and I nod in response.

"Anyway, goodnight bro! I'll show you around dads building and shit tomorrow" he bro hugs me.

"See you later" I say and he leaves, I lock the door behind him and make my way upstairs to Elles bedroom.

Brin is cuddling Elle close to her, both of them fast asleep, I kneel down to Elles small toddler bed. I run my fingers through Brins hair, she flinches awake.

"Hey.." I half smile, "You should go to bed"

"I don't want too, I want to stay here with Elle" she hoarsely says.

I know she's upset right now but she needs her own bed, I'm sure this bed isn't comfortable for her.

"Brin.." I cup her cheek "go to bed, baby. It'll be more comfortable" I coo tilting my head.