Afterschool Disaster

Sighing, you gripped the straps of your backpack and begun walking home from another long, boring, day at school. Your mom usually drove you to school, but today was not one of those days. Apparently, something important had come up and you, being the smart independent 12 year old you are, were expected to walk home.

This is fine. Everything is fine. It's not like you're scared of being kidnapped by a pedophile like every other child is, heh. No, you're a strong kid! If anything semi-dangerous does end up happening, then you can handle it.

The further you walked away from your school, the less confident you felt. Having your peers surrounding you made you feel much safer, but unlike your fellow students, you lived a bit far. So on days that you did end up walking home from school, you tried your best to hurry home.

After walking down a few more streets, you ended up making it home safely. Hurray for you!

You grabbed your spare key from your pocket and inserted it into the front door lock. You stepped inside and dropped your backpack onto the kitchen table, ready to start today's homework assignment.

...

Homework seemed to be going good. You had made it halfway through your first math sheet when a knock at the door interrupted you. Had your parent's come home earlier than they said they would?

Putting down your pencil, you stood up from your seat at the kitchen table and made your way towards your front door. You reached over to the doorknob to let in who you assumed to be your mother or father when a single thought crossed your mind.

'What if this isn't either of them?"

Whenever your parent's arrived home from a long day at work, they would go out of their way to inform you that they were almost home. So why didn't they tell you this time? Was work that important?

Hesitantly, you grabbed the doorknob and pulled the door open.

What a mistake that was.