Calm Before The Storm

Shortly after Nao had left, the four of you walked out of the kitchen and returned to the end of the second-floor landing. In the middle of the corridor, stood a concerned-looking Reko, attempting to comfort the pink-haired woman. You thought that Nao could really use a hug, but maybe this wasn't the best time for one.

Although each door was secured shut, Sara had managed to unlock the two doors on the sides of the hallway. Inside of the black room sat an electric paper shredder, a whiteboard, and one single spotlight. The paper shredder had been filled to the brim with ripped-up documents, but Gin volunteered to go through them with Reko's supervision.

Upon following Sara and Keiji into the white room, a strange scent arose from your surroundings. The lingering smell of something rotting. The room was completely empty apart from a small metal trash can and a chain attached to the middle of the wall.

Keiji glanced around, "Well... this place is no good."

"What do you mean?" Inquired Sara. "I can... sense a bad feeling, somehow. So please, tell me."

"..." Keiji stared at you and Sara with a serious look, "I'm betting... somebody died here." The policeman walked around the room, taking in the smell once more. "I can faintly smell blood," He explained, "Ahhh... And since there's dust, it was wiped a little while ago... I'd put the time around... yeah, maybe the First Trial."

After discovering the true source of the strange stench, your face went pale. Keiji, being a policeman and all, was probably the most informed about the subject of death here, so there was no reason to not believe him. So did that really mean... somebody died here? You redirected your gaze to the floor in order to not imagine whatever gruesome act had probably been done in this room.

Luckily for you, Keiji decided to check every inch of the white room alone, allowing you and Sara to leave that God-forsaken place. With an internal sigh of relief, you closely trailed behind the older girl and exited the room.

Entering the hallway once again, you noticed Sara had stopped walking and was now slightly trembling. You awkwardly stepped closer to her and gave her a small smile in an attempt at comforting her. Sara eventually came to her senses, and the two of you walked to the front of the second-floor landing, where Sou and Kanna stood curiously.

"Hey, miss Sara," Sou gave the teenage girl a friendly wave.

Sara gasped, "Sou! And...-"

"Kanna!" You exclaimed, stepping over to the quiet girl. It was a bit of a relief to see Kanna up and walking around with everyone else.

"Aren't you tired? It's not good to work too hard. You should take some time to rest," Sou advised Sara with a warm smile.

Sara shook her head, "I can't rest... Not while everyone else is working hard."

"I think rest is a valuable choice too, myself," Sou replied, "Still... Who knows who you'll get attacked by... So I know how you feel, Miss Sara."

"..."

"Miss Sara... I don't think you should go to the first floor on your own." The teal-haired man quietly urged.

Sara didn't respond. 'who you'll get attacked by,' The older girl appeared rather taken aback by the job hopper's words. Did he think that someone in your group of trust would betray them? Surely, he didn't mean anything bad, right? After all, Sou didn't seem like the type of person to emotionally hurt someone on purpose.

After Sara and Sou's small conversation, Sou left, ushering Kanna to follow him which irked you a bit since you wanted to talk to her. Sara stared at the beanie man as he walked away with a skeptical look. The teenage girl told you to go find Nao, and that she'd be downstairs looking for a certain someone. You nodded in understanding and walked back to the end of the hallway while Sara returned to the first floor.