The Third Floor

A single word couldn't describe how you were feeling. It was just... repulsive. You wanted to throw up, sob, scream even... but nothing happened. Your eyes refused to look away from the bloody mess that stood in front of you. This whole thing was so unnatural to you.

While one thing led to another, Sue Miley stepped away from Sara's now-broken self and into the middle of the grounds. With a sadistic smile, the porcelain-like woman turned towards the silent homemaker, "For Kai Satou, you are the main event-"

"Unfortunately, I will not let you do as you wish."

The Laughing Doll's smile quickly faded, now replaced with a glare full of hatred and shock. "I will issue... my own death," Kai boldly spoke, maintaining the calm and cool character that he usually wore. Both of his arms had been covered in deep, raw wounds. His black long-sleeved changshan had been soaked with the crimson liquid that bled from the slits that decorated his wrists. "Y-You...!! What selfishness...!!" Miley shouted, "The knife from the kitchen?! As if I'll allow you suicide..."

"HRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!" Q-Taro roared, clenching his fists as he tightly grabbed onto Miley. "Damnit...!! Get off, you idiot brute...!!" She screeched, trying her best to tear the buff man off of herself. The red-haired man tightened his grip, "Like hell!! I wouldn't let go if ya killed me!!" He yelled out.

While Q-Taro was busy keeping Miley inactive, Kai turned towards Sara as he took his last breath, "Listen to me! Sara! This is... resistance. Our lives toyed with to our enemy's whims, we are unable to save even a single person..." He cried out with great force, "As we die off, this is... my feeble... resistance. But it is one large step... toward counterattack...!"

"It is a step I was able to take... because you bought me time. It is surely... not futile," A faithful smile planted itself on Kai's weary face, "I entrust them to you...! Our regrets...!! Our hopes...!! I... am satisfied."

Before anything else could be said, Kai's body dropped onto the ground with a loud thud. Q-Taro let go of Sue Miley and ran to Kai's side, "Kai...!! KAI...!!!!!!!" He painfully screamed, banging his fists onto the ground in agony.

Amongst all of the despair and loss that clouded the atmosphere, you heard Reko shout Sara's name from the other side of the room. The orange-haired girl had passed out from stress and was now laying on the cold hard floor of the Main Game grounds. You hurriedly rushed to Sara's side with a worried look. Reko quickly picked her up with the help of Nao, and ignoring Miley's screams of disapproval, you followed the two older women down onto the first floor and into the room that had been previously used for the game of Russian Roulette that the others were forced to play. Reko placed Sara's unconscious body onto one of the checker-patterned seats that adorned the purplish room, and the three of you stood back to reflect on what had just happened.

You've thought about the concept of this death game plenty of times, but this... this is horrifying! It's so hard to comprehend everything at once. Joe and Kai... they're gone. Two people with bright futures ahead of them had been killed. Just like that. And for what?! What's the whole point of this thing?!

"Nao... Y/N..." Reko spoke up, but before she could continue, a loud noise that sounded like it had come from the second floor was heard. Nao gave Reko a disoriented look, "W-What was that...?!" The pink-haired woman worriedly asked, visibly tensing up. Reko glanced over at Sara, you, and Nao, before standing up and swiftly walking over to the room's exit. "Nao, look after Y/N for me, I'm gonna go check out whatever the hell that noise was. You two stay here and make sure Sara's alright, got it?"

"G-Got it! Just, please hurry!" Nao nodded. Reko left the purple-colored room, leaving you and Nao alone with Sara's unconscious figure. You looked over at Sara, whose face was stained with fresh tears. Seeing someone like Sara out of everyone break down like that was unexpected to say the least. After a few intense minutes of waiting, Reko eventually returned to the purple-colored room with a panicked expression. The punk lady explained that another door had opened up and the three of you (including Sara, who was currently being carried by Reko) quickly walked up to the back of the second-floor landing to meet with the others.

Everyone had seemed to calm down for the most part. Q-Taro sat against the wall with distress written all over his face, while Kanna glanced at Sara's sleepy figure with a sorry look. Sou followed Kanna's gaze, but with an unreadable stare. You stood next to Nao, watching the rest of the adults discuss the newly found area that had opened up.

"...Guess we've got no choice but to head in." Keiji spoke up, glancing away from the group. Reko hesitantly nodded in agreement, "Urgh, yeah... that's probably our best bet. There's nothing left for us if we just stay here."

After about a minute's worth of time, everyone eventually agreed that the best choice of action was to move on. You frowned, glancing around the second-floor landing for the last time. So much has happened here in such little time. It's just...horrible. Who the hell would come up with such a terrifying idea like this?! Breaking your gaze away from the blue-painted hallway, you shook your fearful thoughts away and followed everyone through the corridor, and eventually arrived at the third-floor entrance.

❖ ❖ ❖

Keiji pressed his hand against the entryway door and pushed it open. The remaining ten people of your group quickly filed it in looked around. The area that you had stepped foot into looked way more normal than any of the other places here. It appeared to be some kind of lounge room. Two large windows stood at the back of the room, and in front of them was a comfortable-looking seating area. Four identical doorways sat against the wall across from each other.

During the next hour or so, everyone had eventually gone off to either rest or do their own thing. You sat down next to Nao, Gin, and Reko on one of the surprisingly soft couches in the lounge area while Keiji stood off to the side.

"Meow... will big sis Sara be okay?" Gin worriedly asked, clutching onto his androgynous cat/dog plushie.

"Yeah, don't worry bout' it Gin," Reko crossed her legs and nodded, "Sara's gonna be alright. She probably just needs time to think, that's all."

"Are you sure we should just leave her all alone in there? I mean... anything could be hiding anywhere, and we barely know the layout of this place." Nao nervously pointed out.

"Anything could be hiding anywhere? Then that could mean something might be hiding in here with us," You frowned. "Someone could be watching us through a hidden camera or something!"

"W-Woof?! Someone could be watching us right now?!" Gin asked in a frightened tone.

"N-No! That isn't- I didn't mean it like that!" Nao frantically waved her hands denyingly. "D-Don't worry you two! If anything dangerous does happen to come by, then Reko and Keiji will protect you! And I would also try my best to fight back!"

"Hey!" Gin pouted, "Meow, I'm not weak! I can protect myself just fine, woof!"

"Y'know, come to think of it..." Reko trailed off, "The possibility of hidden cameras around here isn't that low."

"So you're saying it might be true? Someone- the people behind this- they could be recording us at this very second?" Nao inquired.

"Mhm, that's what I'm thinkin- Sara!!" Reko quickly stood up and ran towards where the orange-haired girl stood with Alice and Keiji, followed by you, Nao, and Gin, embracing her in a warm group hug. Sara stumbled back in surprise, but eventually came around.

"Sara, you came to!!"

"S-Sara..!!"

"Yay, you woke up Sara!!"

"Big sis Saraaaaaaa!!"

Sara had looked extremely fatigued. Dark bags rested under her eyes and a few small splatters of crimson blood stained her right hand. The five of you hugged it out and made sure that Sara was okay while Keiji and Alice stood close by.