Miss Egokoro's Realization

After a few minutes of waiting around, Sara and Keiji eventually returned from the blue room. A lifesize doll that had an uncanny resemblance to the orange-haired teenager lay motionless in Keiji's arms. "Right then, let's head back," the policeman announced, motioning for you and Gin to follow.

Climbing up the stairs to the second-floor landing once again, Sara took the doll from Keiji's arms and walked into the mirror room. The older girl placed the inanimate figure in front of the right mirror and stepped over to the opposite one. Sara stood in place for a few moments, when suddenly a loud rustling sound was heard outside of the room. The four of you walked out into the hallway to find that the iron bars that had previously barricaded the mysterious passage were now gone. You followed Sara and Keiji through the relatively short passageway, heart beating with anticipation.

Once you reached the end of the hallway, Keiji crouched down at the sight of a small object on the floor. "Hm?" He hummed, reaching down to pick it up, "...Huh, a key."

"A key??" You eagerly repeated, leaning over the blond man's shoulder for a closer look. Gin tilted his head to examine it, "It's got... a tag, meow."

Keiji raised an eyebrow, bringing the key closer to himself, "The key to the kitchen, eh...?" He read aloud.

"Come to think of it..." Sara trailed off in thought, "The kitchen is the only place on the first floor we haven't been."

A look of confusion set itself upon the policeman's face, "Since the key's here, Nao shouldn't have been able to get in without breaking the window..."

"But..." Sara shook her head, "We should check just in case." Keiji looked down at the intelligent girl with an amused expression, "Yep. Best to be simple and methodical in your investigations, Sara," He smiled. Sara shoved the metal key into her pocket, and with that, the four of you set off towards the kitchen.

❖ ❖ ❖

Within a short period of walking, your little group had reached the empty cafeteria. Sara pulled out the key, took a deep breath, and stuck it into the keyhole of the door. Gripping the knob and pushing forward, the kitchen door opened up with ease, and there, leaned back against the wall, stood Nao Egokoro.

"Nao!!" Sara shouted to the distressed woman. Nao stood silent, gawking at the four of you wide-eyed. Your gaze lowered down to the small yellow box that sat on the ground next to her. Was Professor Mishima... still in there?

"Please stay away..." Nao quietly muttered, pressing her back against the wall in an attempt to back away.

Keiji calmly gazed down at her, "Hey there... Settle down, Nao," He spoke in a soothing tone.

Nao's eyes widened even more, "You especially, please!!"

"...Okie Dokie," Keiji replied with a small frown. Nao directed her attention to the young teenage girl that stood next to you, "What did you come here for...?! Please leave...Sara...!" She angrily shouted, furrowing her eyebrows in irritant. Just an hour ago, Nao had been so sweet and concerned, but now... she seemed a bit unsettling.

"...I'm scared, meow..." Gin pouted, squeezing his plushie tightly.

While you, Keiji, and Gin stood at the back of the room, Sara attempted to calm Nao down. Locking the door, Sara slowly walked over to Nao and comforted her to the best of her abilities. Further into the conversation, Nao revealed that she'd been hiding way in the kitchen so that the people behind this couldn't separate her from the Professor. Her talk with Nao led to her explaining all that had happened while she was gone, including what went down with Gin and Keiji on the second floor (which startled you a bit as well, considering this is the first time you've properly heard what had happened.)

"This is... my fault... isn't it...?"

"...I know how you feel Nao. But, you can't be exposing the people who are alive to danger, too."

"..." Nao paused as the realization started setting in, "The people who are alive...! That wording...!"

"Nao..." Sara's breathing hitched, "Professor Mishima... is dead."

...

...

...

Nao stumbled up against the wall as tears began to prick her magenta-colored eyes. Finally, the realization had hit her. Professor Mishima is dead. Her idol, her teacher, the man she looked up to. Dead.

Letting out yet another heart-wrenching scream, Nao covered her face with her hands.

"...That's right... of course... I kept questioning him... in the dark... but the professor... didn't say a word..." Nao slowly shut her eyes, allowing the built-up teardrops in her eyes to fall at last, "No matter how busy he was, the professor I knew... always answered my questions with a smile..."

"......" Nao took a deep breath and continued, "...I was in the middle of painting it... a portrait of the professor, that I meant to give him as a gift... but I can't give it to him anymore, can I..."

Sara placed a hand onto Nao's shoulder, "And... what about it?"

"Huh?" Nao asked, completely caught off guard.

"He must have taught you many things. About art... about studying... about many more important things..." Sara comfortingly spoke, "Who knows Professor Mishima best out of anyone?"

"..."

"Nao..." A confident smile made its way onto Sara's face, "You should make it back alive, and finish that painting yourself!!

"...I..."

The room remained silent as the pink-haired woman attempted to speak through her choked out sobs, "...I want to paint it...! Until I finish that portrait... I can't die!!" Nao yelled out, wiping away at her tears, "...It's sad... but this... this box... I'll let go of it now..."

A faint clicking noise could be heard from the side of the room, "The door's open," Keiji announced, smiling at Nao's new-found triumph. "...You should go see Reko. She was the most worried."

"Yes...!!" Nao nodded, taking one last glance at the box that stood before her and running towards the door. "Sorry about what I said... Mr. Policeman." She quickly apologized before leaving the room.

Keiji turned towards you, Gin, and Sara with a faint look of confidence. "Well, we better give our all too."