SOPB - Chapter Four

Friday, April 19th, The Year 2219

Brooke's POV

I have dreaded this day since I saw Kristi die on Tuesday. My sisters and I are meeting with Kristi's parents at a restaurant that is close to the cruise ship.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we will be docking at the port in Pondyria in 10 minutes. The ship will pull away from Pondyria approximately at 10:30 pm on Saturday evening. Please be on the ship by 10:00 pm. Thank you, and enjoy your day," the captain announced.

There will be nothing enjoyable about this port trip. After I talk with Kristi's parents, I'm coming back on the ship. I'm too upset to do anything.

The only time I have spoken to anyone is my sisters. And, that was to ask them to go with me to talk with Kristi's parents. I haven't said a word to Jason. He sent a text, but I have not responded. In fact, I haven't left my room. I don't feel like eating. I just can't get that image of seeing Kristi's skin out of my mind. It hurts like crazy.

My doorbell rang. I knew it was my sisters, so I didn't bother to peek and see who it was. Then, I wished I didn't answer it.

"Asher, what do you want?"

"I'll keep short. I talked to my mother. And in the conversation, she wanted to express her sympathies to you for the loss of Kristina."

"Well, thank you for the message."

"How...." Was all I let him say.

"I wish people would stop asking me how am I!! I'm freaking miserable! How would you feel watching your best friend die the way she did?! Just leave me alone!"

I slammed the door right in his face! A few minutes later, I heard another knock.

"What the heck do you want?!!!"

"Listen, Brooke, we know you are upset. We are too. Stop yelling at everybody," says Chanelle.

I flopped on the couch, defeated. "I'm sorry. I didn't get any rest really since Kristina died. When we see her parents today and they hear what I saw, hopefully, you will understand why my mood is the way it is. I snapped because I thought you were Asher again."

"Brooke, we need to be there for each other. We may not care for Asher but when he heard me say you were missing, I could tell he still cares for you. He defended you against Crystal. He always defends you against her. You don't have to be buddies with him. She already moved on from him because I saw her cuddling up with some guy while Chanelle and I were eating breakfast."

"I'm sorry. It's just that I don't feel comfortable on this ship. The doctor was nowhere to be found. And, not a single nurse was near. What kind of hospital or sickbay does that?"