Little Rat

Leona Highrun Kobayashi

Debris: Section 4

The metal pipe hurt, hurt bad enough I screamed, but it was nothing compared to the hunger I had felt this past week.

"You little rat." The man seethed. He hit me again. I screamed again. Pride had gotten me nowhere so far so how I looked now- I could care less.

Frightened eyes watched me from under the table. Just hours ago they were yelling at me, promising they were right behind me and they had my back. Funny I thought as received another impact to my side this time. Now they all coward behind the table. What was this? The fifth time this week I had taken the blame. Curled tight in a ball on the ground I took hit after hit. Each of them hurting less than the last. I grew numb to the pain until it was just basic thuds against a hollow child. Even though I stopped feeling I kept screaming. If I didn't he would throw me against a wall or break my fingers and toes. I only have four working fingers as it was, no point in losing more. He finally left. I stayed there, unsure if I would be able to stand, afraid of the answer. Curled in my little ball of blood it was nice. It was warm. But soon enough the other children rushed over. Crying and cursing the man's name. Some of the boys acted angry. I usually ignored their false strength. Yet now it made my blood boil.

"You were just as scared as me," I said quietly. My eyes drifting to a spot on the wall.

"What? No!" One said defensively, crossing his arms. "You were crying like a baby."

I slowly sat up. I looked at him. From the look on his face, my eyes must have been dead and empty. "I was the one getting beaten. Of course I'm going to cry. That's what humans do."

One of them scoffed at that word.

Human.

"You're just a scared little girl." My boiling blood quieted. Fading with my anger.

"Alright." I wasn't worth the energy it would take him to argue. He needed his energy. They all did.