8

I skipped the rest of the day. I went to work and after I was done there I headed to my favorite secret place.

After I had left there, I made my way home. I slowed down, my eyebrows furrowed when I saw two cars parked in the driveway. They've been back for a couple of hours since my mom's car was at the shop the entire time they were gone. They had time to get it out.

That thought alone lit up a match in my body. I walked into the house, the door slammed behind me. I wanted them to hear that I was here in the house. That I've always been.

"Oh Rena, we're back." My mom called from the living room. "Did you miss us, honey?" Affection, her voice lacked it. I wondered if I sounded like her to other people. Did I sound soulless?

I walked into the living room to see them sitting on the sofa, they were comfortably watching tv.

"Yes. I did miss you guys. Did you guys miss me?" I carefully spoke, trying not to let my emotions get the best of me.

She didn't even turn around as she answered, "Of course we did. We brought you back a few things. When you fall in love and have anniversaries of your own, you're going to be on the moon."

"Are those your cellphones right there?" I asked, tilting my head to the side to see their phones better.

"You probably didn't recognize them with the new phone cases." My dad picked up his phone to give me a better view.

I couldn't stop myself from doing it. Before you could blink your eyes, I had their phones in my hands and then they weren't. I had threw them. Right across the room at the wall. They were iphones, I knew they were cracked.

"You two must've didn't recognized them either for two weeks straight. Or recognized your daughter's number in the phone to call and check up on her. Rewind that to leaving and not saying anything except leaving a note on the table. Adopting a dog right before you go? I get it. I do. I understand that you didn't want a child. I figured that out when you never showed up to anything for me but I still had hope. Not anymore. I don't care anymore. I'm going to press play and we're going to keep living how we've always had. Just leave me alone." The anger was leaving my body, replaced by I don't know. Whatever it was, it felt like it was going to stay a lot longer than anger. I glanced at their phones. "Now you have a real reason to not recognize your phones."

I left out the living room, knowing they weren't going to say anything. Because just like me, they didn't know how to express their emotions either.

I locked my door to my room when I stepped inside. I said what was in my heart to them but it didn't change anything. They were still the same and so was I.

I glanced at a few pictures on my desk. I felt ashamed when I looked at the ones with Tae and I. I sighed and rubbed my forehead. I groaned when I remembered that I had to work with Yoongi tomorrow on our project. Tomorrow was going to suck.

The next morning at my locker, I was waited on by Tae and Taylor. Both of their worried expressions caused pain to my stomach.

"You didn't show up to lunch or last period yesterday. Nor did you answer us in the group chat or private messages. What's up?" Tae went straight to it. "I saw that your parents were back. Did something happened?"

Stop talking Tae. I don't want to respond. I'm scared that I might say something and hurt you.

Taylor waved a hand in my face, snapping me out my daze. "You're not on drugs, are you? We're really concerned about you. Yesterday was unlike you. Well it was, but you'll text us a heads up when you needed your space." She frowned. "Come on. Just tell us what's wrong? We know you, Rena."