9

"You haven't written anything since we've started." Yoongi's voice filled my head, knocking me out of my thoughts. Seokjin's words kept running through my head. "I like getting good grades. Don't start slacking now."

I mumbled a quick sorry before focusing back on the laptop. Hearing footsteps coming from upstairs and the puppy following whoever was coming down made me glance away from the laptop to see who was going down the hall, past the living room. I didn't get any greeting when I walked into the house. Yoongi and I have been here for close to an hour.

My mom and I made eye contact when she came around the corner. I couldn't help but notice that it looked as if she was crying. Strings pulled at my heart. I didn't want to fill myself with hope anymore. I looked away from her and back to my laptop.

"Rena. Can I give you something?" She finally spoke after clearing her throat.

I shrugged my shoulders, not looking away from my screen. "You can do whatever you want. You've always done that without asking me."

A couple of seconds later, she put a brand new iphone 11 pro down in front of me. I immediately started to shake my head. "No, I don't want this. What's the point?" I looked at her. Her face was full of sorrow, and uneasiness. "Just.. why?"

Yoongi stopped typing. I could feel his eyes on me now. He cleared his throat and my mom looked surprised to see him there. "Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to barge in like this. I'm Rena's mom."

Great timing to introduce yourself, mom.

"Yoongi, Min Yoongi." He brought his hand out for her to shake it. "You're very beautiful, ma'am. You and Rena look just alike." He smiled.

"You think so? I was hoping she got more of my features and she did. No offense to her father. I just wanted my own mini me." She gushed, happiness was showing on her face at the compliment Yoongi gave her.

I gritted my teeth and had to stop myself from speaking.

"I'm going to start on dinner. Yoongi, if you want to you can stay and have a plate." She offered him. She was trying too hard. She didn't have to do this.

Yoongi shook his head. "It's fine, Mrs. Beldonie. Thank you for the offer."

She nodded her head and left the living room. I let out a breath of relief. I looked at the iphone in disgust and pushed it the ground. Out of my sight.

"Let's get back to it." I said to him, biting my lower lip.

Yoongi sighed, the sound of his laptop closing made me look up at him. He had turned his body to face me, and was giving me a serious look. "How can we? If you're not concentrating. To be honest, I'm not either. For some reason I can't get the sight of your tears out of my head and it's bothering me."

"It shouldn't because we're not —."

"Friends. All that bullshit. Get a new line, Rena." He mocked. "You say that because you care too much and you're scared of hurting people. You try to scare people away with brutal honesty. But what I don't understand is why?"

Yoongi, Why do you know all of this?

I looked away from him. His eyes were too intense for my liking. "She bought me a cellphone. I don't understand why. It's not like they ever call me. We barely talk in this house. This is the first time she ever said she wanted a mini her. She just lied to you. She didn't want a mini me. She didn't even want a child. My own flesh and blood doesn't care about me, why would other people?"

The sound of glass hitting the floor from the kitchen made Yoongi and I head turned abruptly in that direction.

"It's okay. I got it. I didn't hurt myself." My mom's voice called from the kitchen.

Yoongi's voice softened as he spoke again. "I can't speak for your mom. But if other people outside of your family are showing you that they care, you should let them."

I shook my head. "I keep hurting them. Sometimes unintentionally. Sometimes on purpose. I don't want to hurt them. I even hurt you yesterday." My voice dropped when I pictured his face yesterday.

"Yeah, you did." He chuckled. "But it's okay. I know you didn't mean it. Well at least all the way."

"This nice Yoongi is freaking me out." I honestly said, raising my head to look at him again. This boy sure was good looking. I don't think he even realized it himself.

"I've always been ultimately a nice person." He rolled his eyes. "You just have issues. By the way. Your friend, Taylor? She spoke to me yesterday. She cares about you and I don't think you should allow that friendship to go in the trash. Jimin is worried about you too. He was like "Taylor is what I am to you, Yoongi. She needs Taylor in her life. I was confused because who the hell said I needed a Jimin in my life?"

"Jimin did. Clearly." I giggled. "I ship it. Yoonmin."

Yoongi's eyes widened when he heard me giggle and let out a laugh himself. "Aww, cute." He said, shaking his head.

"Okay let's get back to work. I do want a good grade too. I won't be able to get mad at you this time because we'll be getting the same grade." I was completely satisfied with that thought.

Yoongi nodded his head and in a instant, his nerd mode was back on.

I felt better after talking to Yoongi. I should've been more opened to talking to him back in middle school. We would've been friends already. Too bad I was stuck in my own world back then.

I was letting him out of the house and watching him walk to his car. He paused in his step and looked over his shoulder at me. "You should accept the phone. There's people that want to talk to you when you're not physically around, you know. And perhaps you should talk to your real friends instead of shutting them out."

"I'll keep that in mind." I answered.

I guess freaking Min Yoongi wasn't that bad.