Ch. 28 - The Truth About My Past

IT WAS CURRENTLY 11:53, and I was pacing back and forth in the living room

IT WAS CURRENTLY 11:53, and I was pacing back and forth in the living room. I was out of my dress, and I was in sweatpants and a shirt.

The group was sitting on the couch waiting for me to speak. They too were in their pjs. We left the dance around ten thirty. Ross, Lisa, and Michael were sitting on the couch too.

"Campbell, you look like your going to faint. Are you okay?" Anna asked me.

"I'm fine. I just need to tell all of you something I need to get off of my chest," I said, standing still.

I took a deep breath,"My mother left me when I was seven. I never knew why until I was eleven. It turns out she had a miscarriage, and she fell into deep depression. I, of course, didn't realize because I was young.

After she left, my father got fired from his job, but I didn't know that. In order to live, my father started to sell drugs and he used them too. For years until one night when we were coming back from my volleyball game."

"Campbell, you don't have to go on if you don't want to," Ross said, but I shook my head.

"We stopped at the store because I wanted some candy. When we were walking to our car, a guy came up to us with a gun in his hand. My father owed him money. A lot of money. He was going to shoot my father until he saw me. Then he...aimed the gun at me.

Before he could shoot me, my father tackled him. They fought, and the cops were on their way because the cashier in the store saw everything. But it was too late. My father killed the man. It might have been self defense, but he was still sent to jail for dealing drugs. That's where he is now. Still in jail."

I stopped talking, letting the information get through everybody's head. They all had surprised look on their faces, and I couldn't blame them. My past is messed up.

"Is that how you ended up in foster care?" Nichole asked.

I nodded,"The cops took me back to the station. That's when I met Rachel. She helped and comforted me. A few weeks after my father went to prison, she placed me in a foster home. But that only lasted for almost two years because the couple got a divorce. Then I was moved from Florida to California to my last foster home."

"Malcom," Brent said, remembering the name I said earlier.

I nodded,"Malcom Fawn. He was nice at first. But a month after I was put in his care, he came home drunk. That was the first time he hit me."

"He hit you?" Gaberial asked with anger laced in his voice.

"Yes. He apologized afterwards when he was sober, but it happened again. And again. He stopped apologizing, and he told me that if told Rachel about it, he would kill me. I was in his care for almost three years, but I was moved here."

I saw the boys' clenching their fists.

"So how you messed up your shoulder was a lie?" Micheal asked, referring to the first night I was here.