Ch. 37 - Squirrels & Talks

I FLIPPED TO THE NEXT PAGE of a book I'm reading as I heard Lisa downstairs cooking dinner

I FLIPPED TO THE NEXT PAGE of a book I'm reading as I heard Lisa downstairs cooking dinner. The boys went to the basketball court a couple of minutes away from here.

It's Thursday; the day before Lisa and I's flight to Florida. I shut my book, and I sighed. Then a knock on my door surprised me.

Brent was out with his family for dinner tonight so I wasn't expecting anybody. If it was one of the boys, they would have barged in here not knock.

"Campbell?" Madison's voice asked, knocking softly on the door again.

"Come in," I said before the door opened to reveal a teared eyed Madison. She was in sweatpants and a sweatshirt so something is definitely wrong.

"What's wrong, Mads?" I asked her as she shut the door.

She sat down on my bed beside me before saying,"My parents put our house up for sale this afternoon."

Tears rolled down her cheeks, and I gave her a side hug.

"I just thought that there was a slight chance we wouldn't move. That some miracle would happen and we could stay right here in Midville. But today they made it official; we are actually moving," she continued, wiping her cheeks.

"Hey, I understand. When I had to move from Florida to California, I had to start all over. Then I had to move from California to West Virginia, and I met a lot of amazing people," I told her.

"I know that it's not the end of the world, but I don't want to leave Gavin or you or the girls. And long distance is so hard on relationships that I'm scared Gavin and I won't work out."

"Hey, if anybody can do long distance, it would be you and Gavin. Things might seem awful right now, but things will get better. And, yes, there is probably going to be some bumps in the road, but you can't give up," I told her as she nodded.

"You're right. You know, Nichole texted me earlier asking me why was there a for sale sign in my front yard. I didn't text her back, but I have to tell them today," Madison said, playing with her fingers.

"Madison, they will understand and we all will be there for you until your last step in Midville."

She smiled at me,"And this is why I came to talk to you. You are so understanding and kind."

"You can come to me if you ever need somebody to talk to," I said, truthfully.

"Thank you," Madison thanked me.

"Anytime," I replied.

Her phone went off, and she looked at her device. "My mom is waiting outside for me. I got to go. Bye, Campbell, and good luck this weekend."

She gave me a hug,"Bye, Madison. I'll see you Sunday."

Madison waved at me before leaving my room. I waved back before the door shut leaving me by myself.