Episode 14: Honor

MegaMan raced up the mountain, defeating any Dark Code that was in his way. Seeing how Masa and the others were up here, he might run into them. He reached a clearing where he stops.

Sitting on the ground in front of him was an orc in armor. He recognized the orc as being one of the Black Order.

???: So, you've arrived. At last after all these years... a worthy opponent.

MegaMan.EXE: You were with the Black Order.

Contora: Correct. For I am Contora, son of Atlas. 

He tosses an bottle with a green elixir inside. MegaMan stared at it, thinking it was a trap.

MegaMan.EXE: Why give me this?

Contora: I cannot strike the weak and defenseless. Nor spill the blood of the innocent. For I wish to battle you in your fullest strength. The battle must be concluded by the warrior's code. I ask only for you to fight.

MegaMan.EXE: Why?

Contora: For freedom. 

MegaMan raised an eyebrow. For why would a virus wish for freedom?

Contora: The one you see before you was once a warrior. A cursed warrior trapped forever inside this digital prison. 

MegaMan had only pity for the warrior before him.

Contora: It happened long ago. So long ago now... For there was once a time where I wasn't always a foe. A mighty warrior... a chieftain...

He lifted one hand, summoning a large stone from the ground, engraved with ancient writings with a clan symbol on top.

Contora: I have engraved a recording of my past, so that I would never forget the life I had. The person I once was. So that my people would not be lost to the dust of time. Let me take you on a journey into the past. Like my ancestors before me, I too was honored bond by the warrior's code. For this honor my people carried into battle. My clan was one of seven. A sight to be hold my village was. Lush green valleys and clear skies. A jewel of all the lands. My true happiness in life was my family of a wife, two sons, a daughter and a faithful wolf. Times were good between the clans. It was upon my return from a successful hunt when an omen appeared. The skies darkened into twilight. The demon, Marticon emerged from the darkness and ruled over my clan. A horrible monster he was attacked. My armies retaliated, but our efforts was to no avail. The seven clans fought till the very last man until I was all that was left. My weapons were worthless. My attempts amused the demon and struck me down. I laid before him, ready to battle for the last time. But wasn't destroyed. For the fate dealt to me was much more cruel. He imprisoned me into a world completely unknown. Denying me a warrior's end.  Helplessly I watched as he destroyed what was left of my clan and all that I have known since my birth. Trapped I was forever, never to join my fallen comrades in Valhalla, the resting place of all great warriors. Through countless eons I've wondered through this digital world, watching as centuries pass. Civilization grow and fall. Heroes rise and fighting for good only to meet their end. It was then I would meet a man in shadow.

MegaMan.EXE: Fallen...

Contora: He offered me a chance to leave my prison in exchange for my help. What he plans was never known, but he offered me a warrior of honor. Someone who will face me in combat. For the only entry to Valhalla is to fall to another warrior. And now, is the only chance I have left to escape this fate. As written the truth has been told. For I am at your mercy. 

MegaMan gets up and downloads his sword once more. Getting into a battle stance with weapon in hand.

MegaMan.EXE: Prepare yourself. 

Contora: At last... The gates of Valhalla open to me. 

The two clashed against one another. Their blades sparks before MegaMan impales his blade through the stomach.

Contora: After all these years... My freedom has arrived. For my curse is lifted.

His sword dropped to the ground as the warrior begins to age rapidly. Time has finally caught up to him.

MegaMan came to his side and placed the sword in his hands. 

Contora: Thank you.

The orc chieftain was put to rest. His body laid motionless. MegaMan carried the deceased warrior back down the mountain and to the shores of a lake not far from the battlefield. He sees a boat and crafted a bow and arrow from a nearby tree. Preparing for an honorable farewell.

MegaMan.EXE: May the Valkyries welcome you, and lead you through Odin's great battlefield, may they sing your name with love and fury, so that all may hear it rise from the depths of Valhalla, and know that you've taken your rightful place at the table of kings, for a great man has fallen, a warrior, a chieftain, a father, a man of true honor. 

He lite the arrow on fire and shot it into the air as the boat was set ablaze. An alert came up on his helmet. He raced back up the mountain as fast as he could.