08. SHE'S SHY

a/n: happy new years!!!

    "they are so cute." autumn said placing her plate on the coffee table and pulling her feet up under her.

     "they haven't even done anything yet. we are literally a minute in."

"i swear to god i'm gonna smack the annoying out of you one day."

"is that a threat?" he said sticking his chin out.

"no dumbass it's a promise." she said lightly shoving his head and then focusing back on the movie.

     "late in the winter of my seventeenth year, my mother decided i was depressed." hazel grace stated. autumn put the foot rest up stretching out so she could get comfortable. ciarán had started to move; grabbing a throw pillow, laying it on autumns lap and resting his head there.

     "now i'm cold." he said since the blanket was now only covering autumn.

     "get that other blanket." she said pointing to the one on the other couch. he got up grabbing the blanket and laying back down on autumn getting situated. he laid his head on autumns lap playing with the rip in her jeans and autumn automatically put her hands in his hair, playing with it.

"it's a side effect of dying." autumn said along with hazel grace

    "are you going to quote this whole movie?"

     "most likely." she said.

     autumn was proud of herself. she refrained herself from making any comments only quoting her favorite parts; like when hazels mom said they were cute and hazel said oh we're just friends and gus said well she is i'm not. and she also hadn't cried until around halfway through the movie when augustus explained that the cancer was back and "it lit up like a christmas tree." autumn knew this wasn't the worse part of the movie, and that it would quickly go down hill from that part. luckily ciarán hadn't noticed that she shed a few tears, and if he had he didn't say anything about it.

ciarán had stayed in the same position through most of the movie until he went up to go to the bathroom. autumn didn't necessarily want to cry in front of her crush so she paused the movie.

     "are you ready to head back over?" autumn asked ciarán when he emerged back into the living room.

     "don't you wanna finish the movie?"

     "i'm just gonna cry for the rest of the movie. i'd rather be over there than crying my eyes out." autumn softly chuckled, smiling at him putting her shoes on. "you ready?"

    "yeah." he said making his way to her front door. when ciarán heard autumn cry during the movie he didn't know how to react. he wanted to give her a hug but he didn't know if that was the right thing to do. truth be told, he felt his heart hurt the tiniest bit when he heard autumn cry. in his opinion no one with that beautiful of a soul should be doing anything but smiling and laughing.

     when the two made their way into ciaráns house autumn saw that some of the people had left but it was still pretty full. ciarán was in front of her and she was quickly losing him. autumn picked up her pace for a second and grabbed onto ciaráns arm slowing him down. they made their way into the kitchen both making their preferred drinks.

     "hey so i have to go-"

     "huh?"

     autumn rolled her eyes not knowing if she was just taking low at this point or if he was slightly deaf. she had to do what she did earlier and pull him down to her height and speaking into his ear.