Chapter 4

-----

I told my father everything that happened today, including the weird feelings I kept getting.

"The principal did call me today about you being in the locker room closet but I honestly didn't understand what he meant" my father laughed.

"So, you joined the football team, huh?" My father asked as he took the jersey from it's spot on the table next to me and examined it.

"I guess so" I shrugged.

"Getting in trouble for this girl. Joining the football team for this girl. Feeling all kinds of weird things around this girl. Son, I think you've fallen for a human girl" He chuckled as he set the jersey down.

"Excuse me? That's ridiculous!" I yelled as I stood up.

"I'm just saying" My father chuckled again.

I grabbed my jersey and walked to my room, tossing it on the bed. I sat down and sighed as I thought about what my father said.

"Maybe he's right? I mean, I would never sacrifice myself for anyone. Even if it was just to a principal of a human school, I still did it. Hmm" I said as I smiled down at the floor, thinking about Y/n.

I looked at the clock by my bed and saw that it was 6:10 already. I guess I spent a long time talking to my father. I laid down in my bed and stared up at the ceiling as I held the jersey in my hand, contemplating on what to do. Do I really want to give in to this human teenage lifestyle? Join the football team and explore my feelings for Y/n?

I looked over at the clock and saw that it was now 7:25. I must have been thinking about this for a long time. I sat up and looked at the jersey in my hand.

"I think I do" I said to myself. I pulled my shirt off and put the jersey on and walked downstairs. My father glanced over at me and smiled and stood up.

"What are you doing?" I asked him.

"Going to see my son, the football star" he joked as he walked to the door with me.

We flew to the highschool and landed a street over, behind a few houses. We walked to the school and I immediately saw Y/n waiting by the entrance gates to the football field and bleachers. She had on a black t-shirt with a big number 7 written in white on the front. She turned around and looked behind her and I saw my name across the top of the shirt as well as another big number 7. She also had black paint under her eyes like the players wore.

Her eyes caught mine when she turned back around and they went wide as she smiled.

"Vegeta!" She said as she walked over to my father and I. She eyed the jersey I was wearing and proudly smiled at me.

"Y/n, this is my father, Vegeta" I said as I looked to my father. Y/n chuckled and extended her hand to my father.

"Nice to meet you, sir" She said.

"Nice to meet you too. I've heard so much about you" My father said as he smiled at her. I growled in annoyance and crossed my arms at the old man.

"Awe, Vegeta! You talked about me to your dad? How sweet!" She giggled as she looked at me and let my father's hand go.

"Of course he did! You're his only friend!" My father loudly laughed.

"Dad!" I harshly said. Y/n smiled at me and put her arm over my shoulder, pulling me close.

"Don't be embarrassed, Vegeta. It just means that I'm so amazing that you don't need any other friends" She laughed. She managed to turn that into a compliment about herself and that made me smile a little.

"Vegeta!" I heard Lain yell. We all looked over to see Lain and a few other players standing by the gate. Y/n smiled at my dad and nodded to the players.

"Vegeta is needed on the field. We should go. Sit on the left side, that's the home side" Y/n said as she began walking towards Lain, pulling me with her.

-----

Y/n walked with me all the way to the locker room door. She wished me good luck and told me she was going to find my father. Those two together reads bad news for my social life.

"Man, you are lucky" Nick said as he and I walked into the locker room together. Everyone was pretty much ready except for me and a few other players.

"Lucky?" I asked him as I crossed my arms and raised a brow.

"Yeah! Y/n doesn't give just anyone that much attention. I think she likes you" he said as he pulled his jersey off and put some pads on.

"Huh" I said as I relaxed my arms to my sides.

"Vegeta, I have the rest of your gear. Helmet, pads, cup. Put it all on" Stickles said as he handed me a duffle bag. I opened it and eyed the equipment, unsure of how to wear it.

"Here, I'll show you" Lain said as he began pulling everything out of the bag. I thought he didn't like me but he seems to be warming up to me.

"I'll put mine on and you copy me" he said as he pulled his jersey off. I looked around and saw that all the players, except Lain, Clay, Nick, and I, were gone. I pulled my jersey off and looked down as they stared at my scars again.

"Seriously, dude, what happened?" Clay asked me.

"Yeah man, those look like battle scars" Nick said.

"Well, they are" I shrugged.

"What do you mean?" Lain asked me as he began getting dressed.

"My father and I lived in..a bad place..before we lived here. I had to do some bad things and most of those birthed a new scar on me" I said, trying to give as little detail as possible.

"Dang" Clay said as he put his jersey on over his pads.

"Well, you're no longer in a bad place so don't except any more scars" Lain said as he smiled at me.

-----