thirty-three

One week later.
Luke.

She still hadn't talked much.

She had told me a little more about how he entered the room

She told me that she thought it was her mom, which gave him an advantage to get on top of her before she even knew he was in the room.

Which made me realize why she had became a light sleeper over the past few weeks

Every time my bedroom door opened, she was awake- even out of a dead sleep, she'd sit up to see who was walking in.

She asked us not to make her go back to school yet, so I talked to the school and they let us move her to a temporary online program, she could do that as long as she pleased.

So she came to work with us everyday.

She stayed connected to each of our sides- and none of us cared.

The court date ended up being very short and sweet.

Her mom got jail time for a month due to possession of illegal substances and child neglect, no parole.

Her other friends got from two weeks to a month depending on what they had in possession.

Antonio got five years with parole, which of course was less than we wanted, but as soon as the judge said the verdict, Skylar nodded, took my hand and led me out of the building.

She didn't want to be near them, and I didn't blame her.

I just thank God that she didn't have to talk in front of them.

But today was the first time that she's seemed genuinely happy.

Like not worried about anything.

She came into my bathroom as I shaved my face, making me glance to her before focusing back to my face.

"I love the smile" I spoke to her once I wiped my face, seeing her smile increase even more, making me kiss her head.

"We get to see Uncle Jack" she spoke happily.

Jack has always been her favorite.

"And Uncle Ben" I reminded her slowly, watching her slowly nod in agreement, but returning back to her point

"Family time for two weeks."

Only one for me, but she got two due to myself, Calum, Ashton and Michael needing time travel for work.

"I'm glad to see you happy" I spoke to her, watching her bright blue eyes meet my own.

"I'm always happy" she spoke, seeming confused.

"I know your happy" I told her slowly, squatting to her sitting height, grabbing her hands.

"It's just been a little while since you've been this happy, I missed it" I told her slowly, trying not to upset her in any way.

Just as she opened her mouth the talk- the doorbell rang and I saw excitement flash through her eyes

"Uncle Jack-" she stood immediately

"Do not forget the rest of the family!" I yelled, following her body out of my room.

I followed her downstairs and to the living room where all eyes landed straight on her

They all knew what had happened- and they were all more than concerned.

"Uncle Jack!" She left out the rest of the family, only showing excitement to see him, but no one else acted as if it bothered them- thankfully.

"My beautiful Skylar, how are you sky?" Jack immediately spoke, lifting her body off the ground as he hugged her, squeezing her tightly.

"I'm good" she spoke, letting him go once he put her down.

"Now that you've showed your favoritism, my turn" Ben spoke, hugging her from behind, making her immediately hug him tightly.

Jack came to me as they talked.

"She looks good" he spoke, hugging me tightly.

"Yeah- we got her weight back up and today she's in a really good mood" I spoke, almost relieved that I could say that.

"You did good man, I'm sorry you had to do it, but you did good and I know you're going to continue to do good." He spoke, patting my back lightly as I smiled, watching Sky make her way around the living room, hugging and speaking to all of the family, Ben coming to me.

He hugged me, sighing as we pulled away.

"I swear man" he spoke as the three of us watched her hug our mom, my mom holding her as if she had never held her before

"The best thing you ever did was making her."

"Believe me, I know."

I eventually got around to hug and speak to everyone, who eventually all started settling down, taking turns to talk about the hotel they were staying in since we didn't have enough guest rooms to fit any of them in.

During one of Michael's mom's stories, I watched Skylar and Jack sneak into the kitchen, and I knew- they were about to do something stupid.

Skylar.

Jack held my hand, leading me outside

"I brought this just for us to do" Jack laughed, pulling two bottles of Coke and Mentos our of his pants and jacket pockets.

"You've had that this whole time?" I asked, moving to my knees with him, watching him open two of the three cokes.

"Guys have deeper pockets than girls- easier to store stuff" he grinned, handing me two Mentos.

"Okay, so we have to try to get the cap back on before it explodes, okay?"

I watched him do his first.

Not expecting it to blow up as fast as it actually did- both Jack and I were immediately almost soaked in Coke.

"My hair" I laughed out, watching him laugh so hard he was almost wheezing.

"I did not expect that shit"

Once we had a minute to breathe, he nodded to me.

This time- being ready to run from the explosion, I quickly dropped the Mentos, but unlike Jack, I successfully got the cap back on it.

"That's why I love you!" Jack yelled, more than excited, giving me multiple high fives.

"Okay, now watch" he smiled, standing with it, shaking it up.

And just as he threw the bottle with force to the ground- Dad opened the door

And now- here we are

Dead silent

Dad, Jack and I covered in Coke, my dad more than confused.

"I can explain-" "this is my favorite shirt." Dad spoke, motioning to his white shirt, making Jack and I immediately make eye contact.

"I'll buy you a new one" uncle Jack laughed out, Ben and Cal appearing behind Dad, their jaws dropped at the sight of us covered in Coke, fizz and extra bottles of coke and Mento's scattered across the yard.

"Jack- I swear you never grew up-" "look at her!" Jack yelled, pointing to me as I sat on my knees in the grass, my hair sticky and dripping, but yet I was able to laugh.

Dad and I made eye contact and although he was trying to act mad, he cracked a smile

"Go take showers- I just bought her that damn sweater and it's going to be stained now"