part 6

Lagos, Nigeria.

Ifes got to the last bus station and took a cab to the hotel at Ikeja where she and the other student who was offered a scholarship were to lodge while they waited for their flight to Philadelphia. She had been informed that only two of them were from Nigeria, and each West African country had only two slots for the scholarship program.

Indeed, Lagos was too crowded, just as she had been told and had once read in an article. With their little landmark, Lagos still had the highest population in Nigeria. It was no wonder that during elections, their votes were usually the highest. Approximately eighteen million in number.

Ifes saw everything. Almost everything. The yellow and black Danfo buses, those who were walking on the road, students who were coming back from school, the rich, the poor, and many more.

The driver drove through some parts of Lagos before getting to Ikeja. Of all the things she read and was told about Lagos, only places like Lekki, Victoria IslAnd Ikeja and Banana Island fit into the descriptions. Or so she thought.

The driver pulled over in front of the hotel gate. She alighted from the cab and opened the trunk, brought out her box and closed it back before the driver sped off. She stood for a while and took in the exquisiteness of this grand hotel. Everything was primp and sparkly. She felt out of place, clad in her simple top and skirt, her hands gripping the handle of her fading travel bag. Summoning up courage, she went inside the building and straight to the receptionist as she was directed.

"You are welcome, Miss Ifesinachi." The receptionist smiled cheerfully. She introduced Ifes to the other scholarship benefactor, who was a nice-looking male, handed them the keys to their separate hotel rooms, and directed them to the elevator. Following the direction the receptionist gave, they found the elevator and entered with their luggages.

Ifes didn't know how to use the elevator as it was her first time, but the other student knew how. He pushed the button and the elevator moved up quickly.

She staggered, thrown off balance by the sudden uplift of the elevator. The other student caught her by the waist, preventing her from falling. He pressed his lips tight to restrain himself from laughing as he felt that she might feel embarrassed.

"Thank you," Ifes said shyly, avoiding his gaze as she released herself out of his firm grip.

"You are welcome," he replied, letting go of her. "By the way, I am Ayomide Alex Balogun. And you?"

"Ifesinachi Uzondu."

"Pleased to meet you, Ifesinachi." He brought out his hand for a handshake.

"Likewise." She accepted the handshake.

The elevator stopped at the seventh floor. Ifes and the other student took out their luggage, said goodbye to each other and entered their separate rooms. Ifes dropped her luggage in the proper positions, refreshed herself, and did all the necessary things before it was time to sleep.

Before she slept, she said her prayers and brought out her Bible to read.

Opening the Bible, she flipped over to the book of St Luke.

"Luke 4:16. And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: And as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood to read. And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written. The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised. To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears."