part 14

Pregnant with my child! 

Those words kept chiming like bells in Ifesinachi's head. Something was definitely going wrong. What was he up to? 

She was too stunned to speak, whatever was happening now was happening too fast, and she couldn't fathom it. 

Finally, she opened her mouth to speak, but Bradley cut her off again with his words.

"Since the pregnancy, I realised she easily gets tired." He tilted his head from the couple to look at her. "Hon, I told you to stop working, that this will stress you out, but you can be stubborn at times."

Dear Lord, Ifes thought, Bradley will make a terrific actor. 

He gestured towards the counter. "I have to take you home now. Let's go meet your manager." 

Addressing the couple, he said, "We  are sorry, but we have to go now." And with a firm grip, he pulled her to follow him.

"What's happening here Bradley?" Ifes asked on their way to the manager's office. 

"Keep quiet! Just shut up and let me do the talking," he spat at her in a cool voice.

His remark sent a little chill down her spine. Whatever it was he wanted to use in making up an excuse for her, she wasn't going to allow him to repeat that same lie. Bradley wasn't in a good state of mind now, and that was why he lied without considering the repercussions. What was the manager, and others, going to think of her when they saw her coming to work the next day, and in nine months to come? 

They entered the office after a polite knock. Bradley slammed the door behind them. Bradley wanted to repeat his lies, but this time around, Ifes cut him off. 

"Umm! Sir, I am not feeling too well." 

"Sorry  about that. How long do you plan to stay out?" The manager's secretary asked. 

For nine months, Bradley wanted to say, but Ifes cut him off again. "Just today. I will be back by tomorrow." 

The secretary gazed at the duo enigmatically. "Alright then. We'll be expecting you by tomorrow." 

Coming out of the manager's office, the duo caught glimpses of the couple they had encountered, peering at them as they stepped out of the restaurant. Gratefully, the tinted door made their figures disappear out of sight. 

Bradley held her hands as he walked her to the parking lot. He went to his passenger side and opened the door for her. He waited till she sat on the passenger's seat before slamming the door and walking over to the driver's side. 

He slid into the driver's seat, fixed his seatbelt before giving Ifes a cursory glance. "You also don't know how to put on your seatbelt?" 

"Huh! Where are you taking me Bradley?" 

He gave her another cursory glance before seeing the same couple from his rear view mirror glancing at his car. He gave a forced smile, and helped her put on her seat belt. Without another word, he slid his car key into the ignition. The engine roared as he twisted the key and drove out of the parking lot into the driveway. 

As he drove to an unknown destination, Ifes cried in her heart. Oh, God, Oh, God! I don't know where he is taking me to, and I don't know how this meeting will go, but I am trusting you to be with us.

Bradley's car came to a halt in a quiet street. Glaring at her, he yelled, "Who or what gave you the guts to open my diary, huh?" 

Ifes cowered like a little child, frightened by the deathly tone of his voice.