Holiday Spirit (or lack thereof)

A/N:  Happy holidays, dear Jedi, Sith, and those in between! YesterdayI saw the Rise of Skywalker, and I almost cried so many times. This film had me feeling all the feels, and it was honestly better than I could have ever dreamed of. I strongly urge that you go see it, if you haven't already.

Anyways, hope you enjoy!

Anakin Skywalker: Hold on tight, because 'Anakin' is synonymous with 'party boy.' He's the first to start the festivities and the last to leave. Don't even mention his mistletoe mishaps. When he first tried to ask you on a date, he not-so-subtlely levitated a mistletoe over your heads. Lately, this had progressed into a variety of amusing matches. That is, until a tipsy Obi-Wan actually kissed Mace Windu - on the cheek, of course, like a gentleman. But the holidays hadn't always been so high-spirited for Anakin. There had been a time where he would retreat to his room and sob, because he had never felt so alone during the holidays. His mother, he confessed, used to sacrifice her water rations so he could make sandmen. She would regale him with tales of the Republic, of cities and villages glittering by their snowy peaks and fires festering to keep them warm. He had laughed at the notion of people needing to keep themselves warm - for he had lived through the unforgiving heat of Tatooine for so long. Night would fall, and his mother would draw him close, pointing at the sky. See that one? she would say, pointing to a distant star on the eastern end. That's Naboo. That's where I grew up before I was sold, and Anakin would ask her why, oh how could someone be so cruel? And she would smile, a slow, sad smile, telling him that the Republic was not the beacon of justice it seemed to be.

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Like most Jedi, he was ambivalent towards the holidays. He had trained for so long without respite that he had forgotten how to relax. It made him feel guilty, in a sense, to waste his time enjoying himself when he could be helping others. But you reminded him that he could not stay strong without allowing himself to be vulnerable. Before he could help others, he had to learn that he deserved rest, and he deserved happiness - just like any other person. It wasn't till Anakin strolled by, gifting him a candy cane, that he started to loosen up. By the end of the holidays, you glimpsed him entertaining the younglings. He made snow figures using the Force, and he would move them to dramatically re-enact battles he had witnessed. The esteemed Jedi Master, coated with snow, would smile and beckon you to join him in the festivities. It was then that he realized that you were his light, and he loved you more than words could describe. (This is so cheesy, but I love a good "Obi-Wan and the younglings" playdate. Almost wrote "you realized he would be a great father," but my inner Yoda chastised me.)

Han Solo: Han used to be a spice runner, and like any dealer of illicit goods, his idea of 'holiday spirit' was as literal as you could get. Every year, he used to head down to the local cantina and enjoy himself by downing shots. At Leia's urging, he invited you to a quaint diner on your favorite planet before traveling the galaxy with you on the Falcon. Traveling had become ingrained in him, and you certainly didn't mind. That being said, the 'family' aspect of the holidays bothered him to no end. Having never known his family, he just didn't understand the appeal of "stuffy dinners with relatives you visit once a year," and you honestly agreed. Since the war's end, though, he realized that he didn't need relatives to have a family. Leia, Luke, and Chewie were his family, and he couldn't be happier to call them that. And you were home. He felt comforted by your presence, he took solace in you, and he loved you dearly.

Luke Skywalker: He was unfamiliar with the holidays, almost resentful of the celebrations that happened this time of year. All of the people he had spent countless holidays with were gone. He would never again visit Biggs at "Tosche Station," never again taste the spiced blue eggnog his aunt Beru would make. But people never really die unless their memories are forgotten. You helped him recreate some of his favorite traditions and crafted your own. Even it meant you had to decorate your X-Wings with ribbons, you were glad to see a giddy smile return to his face. Luke was a romantic at heart, gifting you an interactive map of the stars because you 'meant the universe to him.' Sitting next to a contained flame, you basked in each other's warmth, hearts beating in sync as the Force finally aligned itself.

Kylo Ren: Initially, he lacked holiday spirit and was borderline hostile to your attempts to cheer him up. You tried everything - from decorations, to music, and yes, mistletoe. But he never reciprocated your festivity. It wasn't till another one of your attempts gone wrong that you discovered the root cause of his resistance. It wasn't the eggnog from Dex's Diner. It was the fact that for many years, he had celebrated the holidays with his parents. Now he was all alone, and couldn't help but carry the guilt he had from murdering his father in cold blood. You thanked him for being so transparent with his struggles, and together, you celebrated in your very own way. And as he laid his head in your lap, simply enjoying each other's presence, you realized that you didn't need gaudy trinkets and congested music to celebrate the holidays. Him by your side, lazily making snowmen with his Force powers and conversing into the night, was the greatest present you could ask for.

Poe Dameron: Poe's a hotshot pilot with a flair for dramatics, so you'd best be scared of his holiday spirit. He goes all-out on decorating the Resistance base and makes sure that every member gets a present. Despite his love of extravagance, you appreciate the care he puts into making even a temporary space feel like home. You admire the way he tries to make everyone feel welcome, because the Resistance was more than band of rebels - it was a family. The little things he does for you don't go unnoticed - you keep every mushy love letter he writes in a special box. When the holidays roll around, you write a response to every single letter he has ever written. He memorizes them till he can recite your words by heart. 

To my sweet seraph, from a hotshot.

To my dearest pilot, with love.

Armitage Hux: Armitage was work-oriented, and the very concept of a holiday was foreign to him. His father had discouraged him from enjoying himself, even punishing Armitage for what he viewed as "worldly pursuits." His mother had been Jewish, but she had died when he was young. Armitage, like his father, channeled his grief into his work. Yet with some honest conversation, Armitage managed to listen to what he wanted, rather than his father. And his heart told him that he wanted to enjoy the precious time he had with you. Soon enough, you were engaged in a brutal snowball fight against each other. The passing First Order officials shot him disapproving glares, but he could care less. He would command their respect by being himself despite their judgment. Together, you lit the Menorah, and he revived traditions that he had long abandoned. After a long first day of Hannukah, an uncharacteristically sleepy Armitage rested his head on your shoulder, finally fulfilled. It wasn't success that he lacked. He had grieved, he had toiled, and now he could speak his truth and love again.

A/N [2]: How long are these supposed to be again? I kind of want to morph these into one-shots, but I'm not sure. Anyways, let me know what you think. May the Force be with you all! x

Also, skip this last A/N if you don't want to see spoilers for the Rise of Skywalker.

---

A/N [3, spoilers!]: Chewie finally got his medal. I almost cried and laughed at the same time. It was so touching yet hilarious.