prompt #19 - anakin

19. "I dare you."

Requested by @gabbie_cs.

PAIRING; Gender Neutral Jedi!Reader x Anakin

WARNINGS; Minor swearing. Slight canon divergence?

It's been forever since this has been requested. Sorry for the wait; hope you enjoy!

———

"No, Anakin —"

Too late. He had already flown away, perched on top rather than inside his ship.

"Resident daredevil at it again, huh?" Padmé had joined you in watching Anakin as he struggled not to slip off.

"Yes," you sighed. "Just another day with the Jedi Council."

"Wasn't he denied the rank of Master?"

You nodded. "Don't tell him I said that, though. He's still livid about it."

"Hey!" Anakin grinned broadly, waving as he stood on his teetering ship. "Didn't think I'd see you here, Padmé! How was the Senate meeting?"

She let out a nonchalant shrug. "Same old. Pompous sticklers adamant about maintaining the status quo. Bail, Mothma, and I seem to be the only ones with any sense."

"Damn," Anakin swore. "I could never. Props to you for dealing with those laserbrains. (Y/N)'s always the one who negotiates on missions. I just hack droids down."

"Seems like someone isn't putting in their best effort," chastised Padmé. "Don't leave all the dirty work to (Y/N)!"

"Come on, now," protested Anakin, who proceeded to regale you both with Tales-of-Anakin's-reckless-but-lucky-saves. Emphasis, of course, on the reckless.

"—and just as the droids swarmed (Y/N), Obi-Wan leapt from the ceiling to distract those pests, so I could free them!" concluded a triumphant Anakin. Padmé had a faraway look as she eyed the launchpad.

A lithe figure came bounding up to you all, crushing Padmé in a hug. "Ashoka!" you exclaimed. "What happened?"

"They've acquitted me!" said the jovial Togruta. "Gave me back my lightsaber and everything. Master Yoda even apologized for wrongfully accusing me."

"Thank the maker," sighed Anakin in relief. "I thought I might've lost my best Padawan to date."

"Master, I'm your first Padawan," Ashoka pointed out.

"Still the best," he insisted. "And one of the most hardworking, skilled Padawans I've seen. You'll make a great Jedi."

"Thank you, Master Skywalker. Padmé and I will be going now, if you don't mind?" Ashoka glanced at her with an unreadable expression. Padmé nodded, a small smile playing at her lips.

"Of course...be here at seven for training tomorrow!" he called after the departing figures of Padmé and Ashoka.

"Reckon that something's going on between them?" he asked as they hurried away.

"Why, of course not!" you lied. Ashoka had just been acquitted. The last thing she needed was to come under fire for having romantic entanglements.

Anakin glanced at you suspiciously. "Alright, then," he said, unconvinced. "The rule is arbitrary, but for her sake, I'd hope she hasn't fraternized with anyone."

"C'mon. It's okay to say, having sex. Everyone says — and does it."

"Yes, but it's just in case some nutcase comes by and yells at us," he protested.

"Nutcase?" you questioned. "I'm assuming you mean Master Windu?"

"Of course not," he exclaimed, but the tiniest nod of his head said otherwise.

"Wait a second."

"What?"

"You said that the rule is arbitrary."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "And?"

"I can't believe that the Chosen One, model pilot, Jedi, and posterboy of the Order just blatantly ignored the Jedi Code."

"It's just the Rule," he said defensively. "Everyone breaks it when no one's looking. Just a fling here and there."

The Rule was a tiny section of the Jedi Code that forbid romantic relationships. Every Padawan, you and Anakin included, had gone through an incredibly uncomfortable day where Master Yoda gave a spiel against attachments.

"I can't believe what I'm hearing!" you exclaimed.

He shrugged. "I've never been a sucker for rules. You know that. Especially not dumb ones that imply love is inherently evil.

"Me neither. I haven't broken the rule, though," you admitted.

Anakin had a devious expression. "What?" you asked. "I'm slightly terrified at how you're reacting."

"Do it. I dare you," he said.

"Break the rule? With you?" you said lightly, but his gaze had darkened.

"I wouldn't mind that."

His fingers danced across your back, pulling you behind a pillar of the Temple.

"May I?" He was looking at you intently in a way that you had never witnessed before. It was wildly attractive.

"Anakin, I don't understand you sometimes."

"The same could be said about you," he countered.

He was now so close that his curls tickled your forehead. "You'll be the death of me, you know that?" you murmured. You closed the space between the two of you, capturing his lips in a searing kiss.

"I love you," he whispered in the faintest voice.

"You can't say that!" you hissed, looking around wildly. "Having sex is one thing; admitting that you love someone is different!"

"I don't care," he proclaimed. "Why should I hide how I feel for their godforsaken rules? Fuck the Jedi! I love you, (Y/N), and there's hardly anything I wouldn't do to keep you in my life.

"I love you, too."

"Let's fly away tomorrow," he proposed. "Just for a night or two. We can explore the galaxies out there, without a worry about the Jedi."

"Anything to spend time with my favorite person."

He beamed. "I'm honored to be that superlative."

"Never mind. I take that back. Second favorite," you corrected.

He pouted in mock disappointment. "How come?"

"Because you said tomorrow night, not today."