Chapter 10

Good Evening. How are you Ace? I ignored another text. I sighed.

Liz had dragged me out like a stray cat by neck. Apparently I was cooped in my dorm for so long that she was worried I was eaten by ants.

She was always in my room doing God knows what and knew very well that I was not eaten by anything.

I might be gay but I knew when to shut up as the woman talked.

So here I was, proving I was not dead.

"Dave, you know that I love you, right?"

My Best friend alarms were ringing.

"What did you do?"

"What do you mean? Do you not trust me?"

"Not one bit. Now spill."

She mumbled something.

"What?"

"We are going to Tim's party."

I closed my eyes.

"We talked about this, remember?"

"Of course Liz, I remember. And I told you I would think about it."

"Good, now you have all 45 minutes to make up your mind. Continue your thinking."

I stopped talking. What was the point anyways?

We could hear the music blasting inside.

"Alright. Do I look good enough to get laid?"

I looked at her and nodded. I liked my bits were they were. Thank you very much.

"Are you getting drunk?" I asked. If she was, I was sitting this one out.

She nodded. She went through her schedule in her mind. "I have a 11.30. I think I would be fine. What about you?"

"Dean cleared my schedule to attend the conference of Dr. Nag. So 5pm to 9pm."

"Lucky bitch. He is that ISRO guy right?"

"Yup." I wiggled my eyebrows.

She growled with jealousy and pushed me to the door. "Keep your phone close."

Last verses of 'No Limit' by Usher was playing.

Liz was right. I could already feel my spirits lifting up. We bumped into familiar faces and gave hugs and slaps.

As soon as 'Bang Bang' started Liz went wild. It was her jam. She dragged me to the dance floor. The girl could dance, so could I. I felt myself go.

Robbie could not dance but he would stand still and let me...

I pulled my mind back from irrelevant things.

I was taking a breather when somebody pushed a beer bottle to my hands. "Looks like you need it."

"Thanks." The guy was tall and lean. A pretty face too.

"No, thank you for accepting my invitation."

Liz replied for me. "Hi Tim! This baffoon had no idea it was your party. I ambushed him. So, you owe me. I take chocolate cakes. You are welcome."

She walked away taking my beer bottle with her.

"I am sorry about that. I just wanted to talk to you." He leaned close to talk over the music.

The way his hands touched my shoulders told me that he wanted something alright but not talk.

"Wanna go to balcony? Music is loud." I nodded. I could hear another text message.

"So, Dave."

"Tim." I leaned on the rails.

He chuckled. "You are going to make me sweat, aren't you? I like that."

I tried to smile.

"You dance pretty well."

I nodded. "Thank you. Liz is a good partner."

There was an uncomfortable silence. When I was with Robbie, we could talk for hours without knowing.

I shook my head.

I felt fingers brushing away the hair fell on my eyes.

"Look, Dave. I am not one to beat around the bush. I like you. For some time to be honest. I..." He cleared his throat. "Would you please go out with me?"

I peeked inside the party hall. Where was Liz? I had no idea how to deal with this sort of stuff. I was ready for Robbie. I thought he would ask me to be his boyfriend.

I would say 'no'.

He would pull me closer and tell me that I was the one for him.

Then I would say 'yes'.

But...

He got married and I was left with stupid dreams and a broken heart.

I sighed.

"Are you committed? Elizabeth said you were single." Tim looked nervous.

It took me a moment to realize Elizabeth was Liz.

Was I single?

Did loving someone who was married and happy with someone else, count?

Did enjoying sex with the said person and yearning for more, count?

Did drowning in pain and betrayal every day because I could not forget how much I wanted that man in life, count?

I read another text. Had dinner?

I sighed again.

"I have never gone on a date before." I finally decided to say.

Liar.

Art gallery, gardens, parks, swings, swimming pool.

Scenes after scenes flashed on my eyes.

Were those dates?

I did not know. Maybe they were not. Robbie and I found ourselves in those situations.

He never asked. I never agreed.

It just happened. One after one.

Tim was surprised.

"Will you let me?" He was clearly nervous.

Thinking of you. Read another message. I could not go on like this.

I nodded. "Yes." I forced a smile.

I wish I could ever be happy as Tim looked.