Him

He stared out the window watching the gates open. He ground his teeth as the sleek black cars slowly drove through the dark iron clad gates. It looked liked the entrance to Hell.

But, he thought, that's probably what they were going for.... He wished he was dreaming.... life was so much easier when he dreamt.... he often dreamed of Her..... he dreamt of what life would be like if she was still here with him...... even a nightmare at this point would be better than the reality those cars were bringing.

But the dread that filled his heart was as real as the uneasiness that resided in his bones. The peace that had blessed the past three days was over.

The monster was back. His skin crawled..... He wanted to fidget.... truthfully all he wanted to do is run. But he had learned from a young age... emotion is a weakness.... and weaknesses make you a target.

He turned away from the window... from the fated that soon awaited him and sent for one of his closest confidants. Five minutes later there was a knock on the door.

"Ethan" he growled "you may enter.."

Ethan stepped through the door. "Yes Emperor?"

He motioned for Ethan to sit. "I want you to take Priamos and Psyche out on your patrol... I want you to take them away from the kingdom for a while."

Ethan looked confused "But.. Sir... why?" Ethan questioned "Aren't the young prince and princess safer in the heart of the territory rather then on the boarder of the Nightshade army?"

"Normally, yes" he snapped "but at this moment in time do not question my orders!" The fear that was building with in him made him irritable. "Ethan... you are one of the most trusted people in this kingdom.... I trust you to keep them safe......" he paused and bore his eyes into the other mans soul "Do not fail me."