02. 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒂𝒈𝒆

"WHAT ABOUT you Blythe? Any girls back in Avonlea?" Benjamin (ben) Dyers, Gilbert's roommate from Toronto, asked. Ben and Gilbert weren't very close. Gilbert had no intention in getting friends. He knew he shouldn't be quick to judge, but something about Benjamin made gilbert uncomfortable. They sat in Gilbert's room.

Gilbert clenched his jaw, not sure if he should share personal information with a guy whom he didn't know was trustworthy or not. Benjamin always asked Gilbert personal questions which Gilbert did not want to answer.

"No" Gilbert said, simply shrugging his shoulders. He waited for the bells that indicated it was 12 pm. He would get to leave and go back to Charlottetown for a month.

Gilbert was ahead of his studies, none of what they were teaching him was new to his brain, but the University Of Toronto had to go on a break due to the lack of staff they had to keep the school running.

The bells struck, and gilbert grabbed his luggage, moving out of the room.

"Uh- have a great break gilbert!" Ben waved at the boy leaving the room, and sighed deeply. Benjamin had blonde hair and blue eyes. His face was soothing, so was his voice. He and Gilbert had a few similarities, but the two couldn't find a way to get along with one another.

"You too!" Gilbert called, smiling at Ben. Being friendly was his best option, if he wanted to make friends, he needed to be nice.

Gilbert thought back to Anne as he was heading across the campus. He remembered the rush that went through his body when he kissed her lips. He remembered going to extreme measures to at least exchange a few words with her.

He would get to see her soon. The thought sent a thrill, making him pick up his steps. He continued his walk to the train station, thinking about the fire haired dreamer all the way.

Gilbert's thoughts ran away when he got to the train station which would take him to Mr. Barry, who was waiting to take him to queens. Gilbert got onto the train, exchanging a polite "hello" with one of the workers.

Gilbert wasn't supposed to come back to Charlottetown until two weeks later, but his break gave him the opportunity too. A longer stay in Charlottetown. He wondered how Bash was. He hadn't seen him in forever. He wouldn't be able to see Bash until Christmas break, where he could go back to his home. Gilbert had priorly arranged to stay at Aunt Josephines, Anne delivering the message for him.

His eyes felt heavy. He barely slept the night before, knowing he would be able to sort of go home and see the girl he cherished. He finally gave in, letting sleep overtake him as the train started to move.

"Young man? The train has stopped." Gilberts eye shot open to a man, about the age of mid 30s, tapping on Gilbert's shoulders roughly. The train had stopped at another train station. The train station. He was in Charlottetown. Gilbert sat up, taking his luggage in one hand and sticking out the other, intending to shake the mans hand.

"Thank you sir!" Gilbert said, shaking his hand. He left with his luggage in his hand. When he stepped off the train, he took in the fresh air.

He went right, looking for Mr. Barry. The train station was crowded, but Gilbert was able to spot Mr. Barry's carriage right beside the building.

Gilbert smiled and waved to Mr. Barry as he got closer.

"Hello Gilbert! How was Toronto?" Mr. Barry asked, getting the horses ready for the long journey ahead.

"It was fantastic Mr. Barry. I never knew a place could be almost as beautiful as Avonlea." Gilbert said, putting his luggage into the carriage, then hopping in after it.

He heard Mr. Barry mumble something, but Gilbert was too focused on the letters that had slipped out of his bag and fell onto the carriage floor. He picked one up and read the contents of it.

"Love, Anne Shirley Cuthbert." Gilbert softly whispered to himself. He chuckled at how detailed Anne was in describing her experience at Queens.

In just a few hours, he would be able to hear about that same detail, but in person.

"Love, Anne Shirley Cuthbert." He repeated, smiling.

Love and Anne sounded the same to him. He couldn't believe that he went from pining over her to here, still pining over her with her returning the feelings. It was too good to be true.

AUTHORS NOTE
Sorry this is short, as soon as I get more into the drama (which is later in the story, also hi this is me editing while i am like 17 chapters into the story!) the chapters will get longer. They just need to reunite first.