08. 𝑷𝒓𝒐𝒎𝒊𝒔𝒆?

GILBERT BLYTHE stood there, Matthew Cuthbert in front of him. Silence stood in the air as Gilbert nervously scratched his neck. Matthew raised his eyebrows, uncomfortable with the quietness of the atmosphere.

"Well, I was...wondering if I may have your permission to court Anne?" Gilbert asked, ripping the bandaid off.

Matthew chuckled, smiling as he put his hand on Gilbert's shoulder.

"Of course! My Anne loves you a lot and I know if I wanted her to court somebody it would be you, Gilbert Blythe." Matthew said, and Gilbert smiled.

"Thank you!" He exclaimed, pulling Matthew into a hug. Matthew was a little surprised at first, but then hugged Gilbert back, patting him on the back.

"Anytime you need me, I'm here." Matthew said, pulling away from Gilbert. They both started walking towards the house, choosing to not go towards the barn.

"I supposed I should ask Marilla too?" Gilbert asked as they drew closer and closer towards the porch of Green Gables.

"I- well uh, sure! Although, I do already think we both know the answer to that question." Matthew said as he winked at Gilbert and walked off, heading over to the carriage to unload a few things.

Gilbert took a deep breath and treaded lightly up the steps. He knocked on the door, and stood there until Marilla Cuthbert came walking towards the door, dusting off her skirt.

"Gilbert Blythe! What a pleasant surprise." Marilla opened the door, leaving enough space for Gilbert to get by.

"Good day Marilla, I have come by to ask a question. Well- I didn't really come here to ask it, but I was sort of dragged here, but I want to ask the question now that I'm here!" Gilbert rambled on as he entered the Cuthberts home.

"Well, alright. Please settle yourself and sit down, I'll get you a cup of tea." Marilla got a teacup from the cupboard and walked over to the table where Gilbert was sat. She took the teapot and poured the remaining tea into the teacup. She gave it to Gilbert, and he took a sip of it.

"It's delicious, thank you." Gilbert praised and Marilla went to put the teapot into the kitchen. She came back, and walked over towards the table. She pulled out a chair and sat down, adjusting her posture to get comfortable.

"So Gilbert, what is this question you're talking about?" Marilla asked, raising one eyebrow.

Gilbert put down his teacup and cleared his throat. It was obvious he was nervous, but he ripped the bandaid off with Matthew and all he needed to do was to rip it off with Marilla.

"Well, I was wondering if can have your permission to...court Anne?" Gilbert asked, letting out a breath he was holding in the whole time, similar to when he was asking Matthew.

"Why, of course! Anne loves you, very much! You're a great young man, and I know I can trust you with her and her stubbornness." Marilla said, a bright, gleaming smile on her face. She was happy Anne was growing up, and truthfully, she wouldn't want Anne to court anybody but Gilbert. Knowing all that Anne and Gilbert went through in the previous years, it was a relief they had found happiness out of it.

"Thank you, and yes, she is stubborn. But, I love her. Flaws don't matter, they just make her more of a great human to be in the presence of. I remember she told me that once. Why want to be with someone if they are so afraid of showing their flaws? You should love them for their flaws, and they should love you for yours." Gilbert's thoughts traveled to all the times Anne refused to talk to him. He always thought it was because of his flaws, was he too ugly for her? He still didn't know why Anne wouldn't speak to him when they were at school.