22. 𝑪𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒎𝒂𝒔 𝒌𝒊𝒔𝒔𝒆𝒔

"PLEASE BASH, no comments about me or Anne. This year is different now that Anne and I are courting." Gilbert informed Bash. Mrs Lacroix and Elijah trudged through the snow behind them, rolling their eyes as Bash refused to agree.

"But I make comments every year!" Bash protested, throwing his hands up.

"What if you say the wrong thing? You've been sly enough these past years because the Cuthberts didn't know what you meant. This year, every single word you say will be words they understand." Gilbert stressed.

"Okay just say what I can't talk about." Bash shrugged his shoulders.

"No marriage or any reference to the future of any sort. Oh, and definitely no children or family! Marilla will chase me out the house. Don't talk about Anne or I in general." Gilbert demanded, glaring at Bash.

"Well, then I'll just remain silent." Bash concluded, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I thank the lord for that..." Mrs Lacroix muttered under her breath. Bash let out a dramatic gasp.

"My own mother against me?" Bash laughed. Gilbert stiffened as Green Gables came into sight. He stopped in his tracks, causing everybody behind him to come to a halt.

"I won't embarrass you or Anne. I promise." Bash smiled, nudging Gilbert's shoulder.

"I'm choosing to believe you." Gilbert laughed. The group stepped onto the porch. Bash knocked three times, smirking at Gilbert, who all of a sudden seemed nervous.

"You have nothing to be nervous for, Blythe." Bash nudged Gilbert's shoulder. Gilbert nodded turning towards the door which was opening.

"Merry Christmas! I'm very glad all of you were able to join us this year. Please come in." Marilla greeted them, opening the door wide enough for all of them to get through.

"Merry Christmas." They all replied in unison, making Marilla laugh. They all took off their coats, hanging them on the racks.

"Thank you for having all of us this year, Mrs Cuthbert. It sure is a lot of people to cook for." Gilbert said, eyeing Bash who was unusually silent. Gilbert smirked to himself, thinking Bash was going to listen to him.

"Thank you for having us." Elijah spoke up, smiling at Marilla. Marilla smiled back at him.

"The meal will be done very soon, please make yourselves comfortable. You can sit at the table or in the parlor." Marilla said, going back into the kitchen. Bash, Elijah, and Hazel sat down at the table, Matthew sitting next to Bash.

Gilbert walked into the parlor, ready to place Anne's present underneath the tree. Anne was nowhere to be seen. She hadn't eagerly answered the door as he was expecting her too. He stopped short when he saw her sleeping on the floor next to the tree. He laughed to himself, shaking his head.

"Anne!" He said, leaning down to nudge her shoulder. She woke up slowly, sitting up as she rubbed her eyes. She looked up at Gilbert and gasped, standing up immediately.

"Sorry! I was reading over here before and forgot. Hi." Anne spit out, blushing.

"Hi. I- uh wanted to give this to you. It's not much but I didn't have time to get anything. I've been writing it for a while now." Gilbert said, pulling out a piece of paper from his pockets. Anne smiled and grabbed it, opening it up to read it.

Dear Anne,

          When you are reading this, I am probably standing in front of you, blushing like a dork. I am writing this when we are forced apart by Rachel Lynde. I feel writing to you is the second best thing to being with you. Being with you will always be the first.

          First of all, I hope we can see each other soon. Christmas is approaching rapidly and I feel that if I can't see you it will be an utter agony.

          I am now writing this right after you left. I cannot believe that Rachel Lynde will actually let us be with each other. I remember the way my heart jumped out of my chest when I heard you from outside. I feared somebody has taken ill or was injured, but was pleased when you had a bright smile on your face. Your smile lights up a room, Anne Shirley Cuthbert.

          Babysitting Dellie was truly a unique time. Although you were sleeping peacefully, I felt at ease knowing you were there with me. Everything's better when you're around, Anne.

          I don't believe I have ever told you what you mean to me. You are one who brings the light when it seems like everything will be dark for an eternity. You're the one who's always around me, even when you're back at Queens and I'm in Toronto. You're my world. You're the person my heart beats for.

          I am so in love with you. I truly am a fool for you. Even after you hit me with a slate. Or the times you tried to get me to show an ounce of interest in Ruby, where truthfully, all my interest was in you.

          I know I'm not that schoolboy anymore who would stare at you from across the aisle- not that you ever noticed, but sometimes I feel like him. When I watch you dance in the rain, directing the storm. I still admire the way you get so caught up in a book you can't notice anybody calling for you.

         I love you. I love everything about you. I am lucky to know you, and I am lucky to love you. Merry Christmas Anne.

Anne choked a sob, quickly wiping away her tears as she hugged the letter to her chest. Gilbert hugged her, not intending to make her cry.

"This was beautiful. I have something for you also." Anne said, pulling away from him. She grabbed something from the under the tree, slipping Gilberts letter underneath a present so it wouldn't move. Anne handed Gilbert a decorated book. Gilbert looked at the cover. It had pressed and drawn flowers all over it, Anne had made it.

"It's a book with practically everything you could know about me. It has poems, stories, written down thoughts from the past years. I also included how to make a flower crown, or how to be friends with a fox. I would like to make you a flower crown, and hopefully you will want to make one too." Anne blushed, explaining her gift. Gilbert flipped through the pages, catching glimpses of well written poetry and quotes he had heard Anne quoting during class.

"If you don't like it, I can take it back. It's not much but I thought you would like it." Anne rambled, watching as Gilbert smiled at the pages.

"No, no. I love it. I'll bring it to Toronto. It'll be like having you with me. Thank you." Gilbert smiled, placing it gently underneath the tree so he could retrieve it later. Anne started blowing out the candles, Gilbert helping her on the other side. They met for the last one in the middle, lightly blowing it out. Gilbert remembered them doing this one Christmas, but that Gilbert was too scared to kiss her. This Gilbert wasn't scared anymore, because he knew he wouldn't get any object hit over his head.

Gilbert grabbed her face and planted his lips on hers. Pulling away quickly so they wouldn't get caught. Anne smiled, nudging his shoulder.

"Such a charmer." She smirked, walking out of the parlor.

AUTHORS NOTE
i tried with the christmas gifts-