10. 𝑩𝒓𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒆𝒅

GILBERT BLYTHE made his way towards the door of his home. He rushed up the steps, not being able to control the excitement he felt deep down in his bones. He was going to see Bash, his not biological brother, but they were as close as ever.

Gilbert and Bash didn't have the best time in Avonlea once they both arrived from working on a steamship. People didn't know what they were. They eventually got past the rough patches and had a great time together, and with Mary and Delphine. Mary's passing brought Gilbert and Bash together. They comforted each other as they grieved. Overall, they had a strong friendship, and were excited to see each other after a long time apart.

Gilbert had sent Bash a letter ahead of time, letting him know he was visiting in a few weeks. Bash couldn't hold his excitement, as he danced around the kitchen as he read the letter.

Gilbert raised his hand to knock on the door, knocking three times. He shifted back and forth on his heels, waiting for Bash to open the door.

He heard footsteps shuffling towards the door, and could hear somebody turning the knob. The door flung open, Bash appearing through the doorway, doing jazz hands.

"BLYTHE!" Bash enthusiastically said. Gilbert laughed, entering the house he left behind a few months before.

"Bash!" Gilbert said, pulling the man into a hug. They both laughed, pulling away.

"Sit, Blythe. I need to know everything that's been happening. I've heard things from Rachel Lynde. But, first I want to know how Toronto is." Bash smirked, sitting down at the table. Gilbert sat down across from him, running his hands through his hair.

"Toronto is amazing. It doesn't compare to where we went on the ship, but it could be a close second or third. I only have a few friends there, but I'm not that close with any of them. I'm mostly there for my education, I have what I need in Avonlea." Gilbert said, speaking about his times in Toronto.

"That's good." Bash said, slightly smiling.

"How has the farm been?" Gilbert asked, clearly avoiding to talk about Anne. He knew bash would tease him end on end, and he wasn't looking forward to that.

"Oh stop avoiding what I asked, Blythe! Be a man and tell me about it." Bash exclaimed, laughing.

"Well, I was on the train when I bumped into the Barry's. I told them I wasn't getting married and I was going to the university of Toronto. I went back to my seat, but all of a sudden Diana sits in the seat across from mine and starts yelling at me! She talked about how I was smitten with Anne all this time, which turns out to be true. Diana told me Anne wrote me a note saying that she loves me. I never got that note, so I was very confused. I realized if Anne has feelings for me, I had to see her before I left. So, I ran off the train, and ran as fast as I could to where Anne was. I made it just in time, as she was coming out of the house." Gilbert recalled, sheepishly rubbing his neck.

"I would've loved to see that girl talk some sense into you! I wasn't brave enough to do it." Bash said, letting out a deep laugh.

"Anne walked down the stairs and then stood in front of me, and I couldn't help it. I kissed her. She didn't really kiss back all that much, so I pulled away. Her face was in shock, she pinched herself to make sure she wasn't dreaming. She said 'ouch' and told me why she pinched herself. I asked her if she had feelings for me, and she kissed me. After that I had to go, so I hopped into the carriage. I looked at her, and she looked too beautiful, so I hopped out of the carriage and went to kiss her again. After that I left, and was so excited to write to her." Gilbert recalled more of the story, blushing.

Bash got up and started dancing around the kitchen. Gilbert could tell Bash was very happy with the news.

"I'm so happy, I think I might pass out!" Bash exaggerated as he sat down, out of breath from dancing.

"Please, continue." Bash waved his hands, motioning Gilbert to go on.

"Me and Anne just left it at that. We wrote letters to each other until I was able to come back to Charlottetown. Once I came back we spent a lot of time together. That's when I knew, I wanted to court her. One day, I was pulled down to Avonlea because Diana needed to talk to Jerry, and Anne needed me to go. Once we got there, I asked Matthew and Marilla for their permission, and they immediately agreed. So once Anne came back inside, I asked her, and she said yes." Gilbert blushed deeply, taking a sip of water from the cup in front of him.

"So, what about marriage?" Bash asked. Gilbert's head shot up, and he choked on his water. Once he calmed down, he started laughing.

"Marriage? Not yet. But I know Anne is the one I want to marry. I've known that for a while now." Gilbert sincerely said.

"What about kids?" Bash went on.

"Enough about me and Anne, and more about you. Anybody you take interest in?" Gilbert said, slightly thinking about the question Bash asked him. Gilbert shook the boyish thoughts out of his head, slightly ashamed of himself for thinking them. Bash rolled his eyes before speaking.

"I don't know how you will feel about this, but I will tell you. Muriel Stacey and I have been spending time together..." Gilbert's jaw dropped.

"I never expected it to be my old teacher!" Gilbert exclaimed, widening his eyes while laughing.

"Well, I'm glad your happy." Gilbert continued on.

"I'm glad you are finally happy too. I always knew it was Anne. Can I say I told you so?" Bash asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

"I already know you're thinking it, Bash. I can't believe I denied having feelings for her for all those years. I also can't believe you had to put up with it." Gilbert said, smiling a crooked smile.

"I wanted to tell you when you told me you were proposing to Winifred, but I decided to respect your decisions. Although, inside I was thinking about how you definitely still felt feelings for Anne." Bash shrugged. He had figured out Gilbert's feelings for Anne before Gilbert himself. It was painfully obvious, but Gilbert still couldn't figure it out for himself.

"Well, enough about women. I want to go check out how the farm has been holding up!" Gilbert said, getting up and running straight out the door, Bash laughed before getting up and following him.

AUTHORS NOTE
favorite friendship🥺🥺