17. 𝑨𝒃𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒕𝒆𝒍𝒚 𝒏𝒐𝒕

GILBERT BLYTHE froze in his tracks, shocked with what he just asked. Bash raised an eyebrow.

"As much as I would love to say you should propose, I don't think I can say it." Bash shrugged his shoulders.

"Why?" Gilbert asked, sitting down at the table across from Bash. Bash shifted in his seat, looking at Gilbert with a knowing look.

"Don't you think you guys-well she is too young? Still sixteen? I've been waiting for the day you and Anne get married, but I'm not sure the Cuthbert's will approve of her getting married at a younger age. But that's just my opinion, no guarantees." Bash said, slightly scared of Gilbert's reaction.

"You do have a point, plus I rushed into the whole proposal thing with Winifred, and well you see how that ended, and I'll be damned if that happened with Anne. Not that it ever would, me and Anne know what we want. At least I think we do." Gilbert blabbered on, in a zone until Bash waved his hands in front of Gilberts face.

"I'm just saying because I don't know if me and the Cuthberts can handle another baby while you two are off to college." Bash laughed when Gilbert blushed.

"Well we wouldn't have a baby until we are ready." Gilbert stated, rolling his eyes.

"That's what they all say." Bash muttered.

"What did you say?" Gilbert asked, but knew exactly what Bash said.

"Nothing Blythe. I just don't want you getting chased to Toronto by Marilla and Mrs. Lynde with a broom." Bash laughed and got up. He took the broom that was leaning against the wall, and poked Gilbert with it. Gilbert swatted it away, glaring at it. Bash put the broom down, but didn't sit at the table.

"I just don't know what to do. I know I want to marry her in the future, I can't picture a future without her Bash." Gilbert sighed, facepalming his forehead.

"Sleep on it, Blythe, but don't go running off in the night to marry her." Bash said, and left the room.

Gilbert threw his head into his hands, rubbing his eyes profusely. It was close to evening, supper time. He wasn't hungry. All he could think about was the decision Bash just threw at him onto a plate, and set it on a table.

Gilbert went up to his room, and shut his door. He didn't want to glance at the ring. He couldn't. He jumped on his bed and rested on his back.

Anne. Anne was all he could think about. They hadn't even been courting for a year. Gilbert knew marriage isn't in the question yet.

"Not yet." He whispered to himself, placing his hand over his heart. He knew he was making the responsible choice. Him and Anne were in love and happy. Content with how everything played out. They would be married eventually, and would start a family of their own. Gilbert laughed at the thought of tiny heads of red hair running around the house.

He closed his eyes, sleep capturing him eventually.

-

The sun shine was blinding his eyes as he opened them. It had to be at least 8 in the morning. Gilbert got up, stretching. He looked down and saw he still had his clothes on from yesterday and boots still on his feet. He fell asleep yesterday before supper and had slept through all that time.

Gilbert made his way to kitchen, seeing Bash, Delphine, Elijah, and Hazel all in the room, chatting away.

"Did you have a nice dream sleeping beauty? Slept for so long I thought you would never wake up." Bash laughed. Gilbert smiled a bit and sat at the table, where his plate had already been made.

"Thank you." He said to Bash's mom, who only nodded and smiled.

"So, what did you decide?" Bash said, referring to the conversation Gilbert and him had yesterday. Gilbert just shrugged his shoulders, not wanting to carry into the topic.

"Not yet." Gilbert murmured, taking a bite of toast. Bash nodded, taking a sip of water, slurping it obnoxiously. Elijah laughed, picking up his sister.

"Decide on what?" Elijah asked, pulling Dellies hands that were pulling at his hair.

"Blythe over here is thinking of his future." Bash crossed his arms proudly. Elijah nodded and exited the room with Dellie. Hazel, picking up on Bash's motions for her to leave,  went outside to do laundry.

"So now that it's just you and I, tell me how you feel." Bash said, putting his dishes away.

"I want to do it when she's ready, and when I'm ready. I don't think that time is now. But I came to the conclusion, the moment we are ready, I'm not wasting time. If she accepts, I want to start my life with her." Gilbert smiled.

"I'm happy for you. All those years of pining after her, but denying it. I'm glad you went to her. I'm glad I got to have my moment where I told you so." Bash smirked.

"You were too scared to tell me I was being an idiot." Gilbert laughed, clasping his hands together.

"I had good reason, you made me believe you were going to be happy. I just wanted that for you, and most of the time I thought you were talking about Anne." Bash said, innocently.

"You did?!" Gilbert exclaimed, eyebrows flying.

"Yes I did! You wouldn't say any names, so I just assumed it was the girl you were obviously gone over."

"You know you don't have to tease me about it every chance you get?" Gilbert asked, pointing at Bash.

"But I like doing it. It's fun."

AUTHORS NOTE
i am so sorry this chapter is so short and crappy...I couldn't think of anything to write for it, so I just came up with Gilbert coming up with his decision. Next chapter will be longer and have drama, and will make up for this one...sorry again.