16. 𝑩𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒊𝒕'𝒔 𝒄𝒐𝒍𝒅 𝒐𝒖𝒕𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆

ANNE SHIRLEY CUTHBERT looked outside the window seeing a white world of wonder. It was winter and the snow piled up heavily at Green Gables.

"Oh Marilla, aren't you so thrilled to be back at Green Gables?" Anne asked as she rushed down the steps. She was now on her Christmas break, which meant spending more time with the Cuthberts and Gilbert.

"Well, I never left, but it is exciting you're back." Marilla said, hiding a smile.

Anne looked outside the window, nervously tapping her foot.

"Where is he?" She whispered under her breath. Gilbert was coming back to Avonlea today, and Anne couldn't help but check every window in the house window every five minutes to see if he was coming up the path, any path that lead to her.

"My word child! The boy will not magically appear if you stare at that window any longer! Help me make lunch and time will pass." Marilla scolded, she knew Anne was looking for Gilbert.

"Okay, fine." Anne groaned, but couldn't bring
herself to move to the kitchen.

"Now!" Marilla yelled from the kitchen.

Anne peeked at the window and gasped when she saw him in the near distance. She ran to the door and threw it open, not bothering to close it or put a coat on.

"Anne! You need a coat!" She heard Marilla yell behind her, but she kept moving towards Gilbert, who was now picking up his steps. He had a bright smile on his face, and she could see the snowflakes in his hair, it was cute.

"Gilbert!" Anne laughed as he reached her and lifted her up.

"Anne!" He laughed, twirling her around in the air. He set her down, stepping back to take in his red headed beauty. Every single time he was astonished by her. She put him in a trance even he would admit to.

"You get more and more breathtaking everyday- wait why don't you have a coat on?" Gilbert worried, pulling along Anne to bring her inside.

"Gil, I'm fine." Anne laughed, but Gilbert kept moving towards the house. Anne rolled her eyes playfully, giving into his worry for her well being.

Gilbert opened the door for her, letting her go in first. Anne walked in, immediately seeing Marilla with Anne's coat in her hands.

"Good afternoon Marilla, how are you?" Gilbert asked kindly when he entered the house, ignoring the glaring looks Anne and Marilla were sending each other. Marilla looked at Gilbert, a warm smile on her face.

"I'm alright, Gilbert. Were your travels safe? I do hope you are more caring for yourself than Anne." Marilla muttered the last few words. Anne sighed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Yes they were. There wasn't much snow so no delays happened, thankfully." Gilbert said, pulling off his coat and hanging it on the rack.

"You two can go into the parlor. I won't bug, but I trust you two to not get into any trouble. If if come into the room in a rush, Rachel is here." Marilla said, heading backing into the kitchen.

Anne grabbed his hand and dragged him into the parlor, sitting them both down on the couch. Once they were both seated, she grabbed his face and smashed her lips onto his.

He smiled into the kiss and pulled away, looking her straight in the eye.

"With Marilla only a room over? Anne Shirley Cuthbert, you are one brave soul." Gilbert laughed, leaning back into the couch.

"I've always been one to get in trouble, Marillas decision wasn't a smart one, that's for sure." Anne laughed.

"I promise I'll find a way to spend time together, we're lucky she even left us alone." Gilbert shrugged his shoulders, and Anne nodded.

"Tell me about your friends. What's going on in their lives?" Gilbert asked.

"Well, Diana has met a potential suitor." Anne trailed off, a smile on her face.

"Where is he from?" Gilbert asked, tilting his head.

"Don't know. Diana met him in town, his name is Fred Wright, and apparently he's very handsome." Anne looked at Gilbert at the last part, a smirk on her face.

"Not as handsome as me though?" Gilbert asked, awaiting Anne's answer.

"You infuriate me." Anne said plainly.

"It's my job. Now, what about Ruby and Moody. Did he finally man up?"

"You're one to talk about manning up, Blythe. Ruby is waiting for Moody to ask her to court. She's cried about it every night. I can hear her from my room. I never sleep." Anne complained.

"He'll do it, someday. Do you know Charlie Sloane sent me a letter? A letter telling me about how he's moved on from you and approves of us." Gilbert laughed.

"Really? Do you know he walked me home after that one dance practice? I was hoping it was you, but it was him." Anne said, sourly.

"If you wanted me to walk you home you could've just asked, Shirley." Gilbert teased, a wide grin on his face.

"I think you're getting too comfortable. I won't hesitate to hit you with a slate, again." Anne snickered.

"I like teasing you. Your face gets all red, and you can practically see the smoke coming from your ears!" Gilbert laughed.

"Gilbert Blythe." Anne gasped, laughing. She lunged towards Gilbert tackling him off the couch. He fell off, and she rolled off to the side, both laying on the floor.

Marilla, in the kitchen, heard a big bang and rushed to the parlor.

"Are you two alright?" She gasped, seeing Anne and Gilbert on the floor, laughing together in a sweet melody.

They both sat up abruptly, laughter dying down.

"We're alright." Gilbert said, standing up. Holding his hand out to Anne. Anne looked at it for a second, and decided to take it. He pulled her up, and they both dusted themselves off.

Marilla nodded in approval and headed back to the kitchen.

"Well, I best be going back home. Bash needs help with Dellie today. You could stop by tomorrow if you'd like." Gilbert proposed, heading towards the coat rack.

"Sure!" Anne followed. Gilbert pulled his coat and hat on and turned around to face her.

"Goodbye." He said, but she pulled him down for a quick kiss. She pulled back, beaming at him.

"Bye." She said, shyly.

"Goodbye Miss Cuthbert!" Gilbert called before opening the door and leaving, Anne shutting the door behind him.

His walk home was short, his thoughts keeping him distracted the whole time. He entered the house and went straight to his room. He looked at his bedside table, a small bag with a precious ring inside of it. He sighed, heading back to the kitchen, where Bash was.

"Bash, how do you know when you're ready for Marriage?"

"You are a crazy man, Blythe."

AUTHORS NOTE
gilbert's  wildin🙈🙈