13. 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒊𝒆 𝑺𝒍𝒐𝒂𝒏𝒆 𝒘𝒓𝒐𝒕𝒆 𝒂 𝒍𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓

THIS CHAPTER IS LITERALLY JUST TWO LETTERS BETWEEN CHARLIE AND GILBERT, SORRY.

GILBERT BLYTHE DID NOT EXPECT A LETTER FROM CHARLIE SLOANE. He didn't expect seeing Charlie's name on the letter. He rushed up to his dorm, sitting at his desk. He ripped open the letter before reading its contents.

Dear Gilbert,

I feel like I must write to you to get closure. I know you are courting Anne, Moody told me. A few months ago, I would've been mad, but I would just like you to know I am not upset. The main reason I am telling you this is because I do not want any hard feelings between us.

"Does he think I care?" Gilbert whispered to himself. He didn't care of what Charlie Sloane thought of Gilbert and his Anne with an E. He didn't really care what anybody thought. He knew people of Avonlea and further would speak about how he left the beautiful blonde woman for the orphan girl that brought troubles to Avonlea. These rumors didn't mean anything to him. He knew he made the right decision. He loved Anne with all of his heart. Everything he could give to her, he gave it.

He sighed before carrying on with the letter.

My "crush" on Anne, if I can even call it that was silly if I think about it. I didn't truly feel for her, not as strongly as you do. It was obvious you were quite taken with her. I thought I had a chance when you stepped out with Winifred at the county fair, but Anne was not interested at all.

These feelings have all faded away, truthfully. The other girls at queens seem like a better match for me.

Gilbert felt puzzled. He didn't really notice Charlie being interested in Anne until he posted something on the take notice board. He shook his head before carrying on.

How is Toronto? It's different at queens without you here.

Well, I've ran out of things to write. I hope you are well.

Yours respectfully,
Charlie Sloane.

Gilbert's eyebrows furrowed before he searched to find his own pen and paper. Once he found them, he went back over to his desk and started writing.

Gilbert had zero clue on what to write down on the sheet in front of him. Charlie Sloane was a plain boy. He spoke plain words. Gilbert didn't know how to write to Charlie. All of the letters he had written in the past few months were all to Anne. He wrote in words that she understood. Words that were so romantically spoke it made both of their hearts burst.

Dear Charlie,

Thank you for letting me know you have moved on. I never really noticed you were interested in Anne, but you were probably a bit better at hiding your feelings than I was, or still am.

Was I really that obvious? My friend, Bash, always teased me. He called me a "moke," but I never actually believed I had feelings for her.

I am glad to hear you moved on. No hard feelings. I hope you can find the one, that makes your heart beat as fast as Anne makes mine.

Toronto is swell. It's very different from Avonlea. Busy, I suppose. I do miss Avonlea, but new beginnings have to happen at some point.

I am well, and I hope you are too.

From,
Gilbert Blythe

Gilbert finished writing his letter, and put it into an envelope. Satisfied with everything, he started making his way down to the postal office.

He heard his roommate come back from his classes. Him and Ben had started to get along after Gilbert came back from his trip to Charlottetown. They discovered they had a lot of things in common than they had thought.

Ben walked into the room, obviously tired from his busy day.

"Hey, Gilbert." He said, yawning.

"Busy day?" Gilbert asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Like every other day. What's that?" Ben questioned, gesturing to the letter in Gilbert's hand.

"I got a letter from a boy in Avonlea. He was a little bit taken with Anne, so he wrote to me, telling me he wasn't mad." Gilbert said, a smile creeping onto his face as Benjamin started laughing.

"That's awkward, now go deliver it and then come back and tell me what it said inside!" Benjamin exclaimed, shooing Gilbert out the door. He smiled before shutting the door in Gilbert's face.

Gilbert smiled before actually making his way to the post office, knowing Benjamin was tearing through the room, looking for Gilbert's letters from Anne, and the one from Charlie.

AUTHORS NOTE
i didn't proofread sorry , i will go back and do it later.