14. 𝑳𝒂𝒄𝒆 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒔

IT WAS SATURDAY AND THERE WERE NO CLASSES. Diana Barry and her friends loved Saturday's. It was the day they could relax and catch up on any studies they were behind on, if they had any.

"Anne! Do you want to take a walk around town?" Diana asked as she walked into her shared room, seeing her roommate laying on her bed, drowning in all sorts of varieties of books.

Classic Anne, Diana thought to herself, laughing.

"Well, I was planning to catch up on reading. I haven't read any of my favorites in a while because school is keeping me too busy!" Anne groaned, looking at the current book in front of her, already halfway finished.

"You don't have to go! You can stay here and read if you'd like, I don't mind. I'll be perfectly fine on my own." Diana warmly smiled, grabbing her parasol.

"Do your best to not fall into a deep, dark ditch." Anne winked before putting on her Marilla face, but she could not stay serious. She fell onto her back, holding her stomach while she laughed.

"I'll do my best." Diana reassured her friend before walking out of the room. She gasped as she collided into another body. She stumbled backwards before catching her balance. She looked to see who she had ran into, and slightly laughed as she saw who it was.

Ruby Gillis stood there with a bright red face, a worried look was painted heavily on her face.

"Sorry Diana." Ruby sheepishly said, adjusting the hat on her head. Ruby noticed Diana's parasol in her left hand and looked back up to meet her friends eyes.

"Where are you going?" She asked, tilting her head.

"Just for a walk around town. I asked Anne, but she wants to stay here and read." Diana said, shrugging her shoulders.

"May I join you? There's not a lot for me to do today and the girls are preoccupied with...something? I wasn't really paying attention." Ruby asked.

Diana nodded, following Ruby to her room. Ruby opened the door, running over to grab her parasol. She grabbed it and headed towards the doorway where Diana stood. Diana stepped aside and closed the door when Ruby had exited the room.

"Are you ready?" Diana asked as they rounded the corner.

Ruby nodded as they descended the stairs, careful to not cause a loud fuss, as Mrs. Blackmore would probably find a way to scold them on it. They knew Mrs. Blackmore did not mean to come across as harsh, after all the girls weren't that acquainted with the rules of proper etiquette and such.

The only girl they knew that was so bold as to break Mrs. Blackmores rules and the rules of propriety was their dear Anne Shirley Cuthbert. Anne was swift with what she did when she broke a rule, so she never got caught.

Mrs. Blackmore was at the bottom of the steps, staring blankly into the space ahead of her. The two girls wearily stepped off of the last step, looking at each other for an answer. They didn't know if they should interrupt the woman in front of them as she was in a deep train of thought.

"Uhm..Mrs. Blackmore?" Ruby spoke up, making the bold decision for the both of them. Mrs. Blackmore jumped up a bit before turning around.

"Hello girls, how are you this morning?" She asked, her voice bland with no emotion.

"Perfectly well, thank you, and you?" Diana responded, making sure to be careful with her word choice. Of course she was taught on her what to say to adults, but she often found herself mixing words up.

"I'm doing alright, thank you for asking. Now, what is it you girls are up to?" Mrs. Blackmore asked, standing with her posture as straight as ever. Diana and Ruby did their best to match the lady's posture, adjusting themselves as they saw fit.