09. 𝑱𝒖𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒄𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝑱𝒆𝒓𝒓𝒚

A LITTLE BIT BEFORE GILBERT ASKED ANNE THE BIG QUESTION !!
(well, only courting. not marriage. yet. just kidding.
sequel? ok i'll stop)
also i didn't proofread

"JERRY? ARE YOU in here?" Diana Barry asked as she walked into the barn. She looked around at the haystacks. Jane and Tillie stood outside of the barn, promising to give Diana privacy. They looked at each other as they slowly brought their ears closer to the entrance to the barn, trying to hear what Diana and Jerry were saying.

"Jerry?" Diana called as she kept moving. She turned around, sensing movement behind her.

"Diana? What are you doing here?" Once she spun around, Jerry was in front of her.

"I...I came to apologize. What I did was...selfish and not kind at all. I guess I was scared about what others would think, but I've come to realize that doesn't matter. I'm sorry." Diana said, her eyes darting around the floor as she avoided Jerry's gaze.

"It's okay Diana. I guess I understand why you did what you did. We're very different from each other and we sort of jumped into things without properly speaking to each other about it." Jerry smiled as Diana looked up, a big grin jumping onto her face.

"Jerry...do you maybe want to be friends again?" Diana asked.

"Yeah...just friends right?" Jerry said, nervously playing with his hat.

"Yeah, I- I guess." Diana said, awkwardly. Jerry was about to speak, but was interrupted by Jane and Tillie entering the barn.

"Hello." Jerry greeted, side eyeing Diana.

"Where's Anne? And Gilbert?" Diana asked, raising her eyebrows. Jane and Tillie shrugged, but then started to panic.

"Oh my- they are alone. Together. Alone. We have to go find them. Oh my- WHAT ARE THEY DOING?" Tillie screamed as they all ran out the barn. The three girls kept screaming over each other as they ran towards the house.

They slowed down as they saw Gilbert and Anne walking towards them.

"What's all the noise about?" Gilbert raised his eyebrows, looking back and forth between the three girls and Jerry.

"Um, nothing?" Jane slightly whispered.

"It sure didn't sound like just nothing..." Anne muttered under her breath, only loud enough for Gilbert to hear. Gilbert chuckled and squeezed her hand.

"We just got a little worried since we haven't seen you two in a little bit!" Diana added in, smiling a big smile that seemed almost fake.

"We were just inside, talking." Anne assured, looking between Diana and Jerry.

Gilbert looked at Anne, and she turned her head to look at him.

"Should we tell them?" Gilbert whispered under his breath and Anne nodded. Gilbert turned back to his friends standing in front of him.

"Me and Anne are courting." He smiled, pulling her closer to him. Diana and Jerry smiled, congratulating the two.

Tillie turned her head to Jane, a devious smirk on her face.

"So, Jane. What's my prize?" Tillie asked, holding her hand out, waiting for Jane to put something in it.

Jane rolled her eyes, crossing her arms. She let out a huff of defeat.

"Prize for what?" Jerry asked, looking back and forth between Jane and Tillie.

"So me and Jane may or may not have bet that Gilbert would ask her today while we were on the train ride to here. Jane thought there was no way Gilbert would work up the nerve. But, I didn't doubt Gilbert for a second. So, I win the bet. We didn't decide on what the prize would be though. I just said it has to be something I would want. Not something that Jane has in her room and doesn't want anymore." Tillie explained. Anne and Gilbert laughed at their friends. Eventually, Tillie, Jerry, and Diana joined in. Jane stood there, pouting with her head down.

"I'll give you your prize when we get back to queens." Jane said, eventually giving up and smiling.

"Wait. How are we getting back to the boarding house?" Diana asked, widening her eyes.

"I didn't think about that!" Anne and Tillie said. Janes jaw dropped as she started giggling.

"Wait, so we're here at green gables. We have to be at queens tomorrow. And there is no train rides back to Charlottetown!" Jane laughed, holding her stomach as she hunched over.

"Well, this wasn't our smartest idea." Tillie said, shifting back and forth from foot to foot.

"I have an idea. What if Matthew could maybe take us there? It's a long way but sure we could use the carriage. What do you think, Gilbert?" Anne asked Gilbert, who only sighed.

"It's smart, but I'm actually going to go see Bash and stay there until tomorrow. Is that alright with you? I know you wanted to spend time with me before I left for Toronto." Gilbert said, rubbing his thumb against Anne's knuckles.

"That's alright. I'll see you tomorrow." Anne said, smiling up at him. He smiled and let go of her hand.

"I'm just going to head there now. Bye!" He said to the people in front of him.

"Bye Anne." Gilbert sweetly said, kissing her on the cheek. He walked off, turning around to wave at her.

She laughed and waved back, the situation reminding her of when Gilbert left the boarding house the first time he kissed her, him waving at her through the carriage window.

She turned to her friends, clearing her throat.

"I'm going to go get Matthew and ask him to leave as soon as possible. You can all go inside if you'd like." Anne ran off to the barn to find Matthew. She looked around, deciding he wasn't in the lower level. She headed up to the upper level calling out Mathews name.

"I'm right here Anne. What is it you need?" Matthew said, dusting off his pants.

"Can you please take me, Diana, Jane, and Tillie to Charlottetown. We need to get back to our boarding house by tonight. I know it's a long way, but I will forever be grateful if you do." Anne pleaded, and Matthew looked around, sighing.

"Alright, lets go." He said, and they made their way out of the barn.

"Thank you!" Anne said, and ran to the house to get her friends.

Matthew proudly watched as she ran. It was hard to believe she was growing up. He was proud of her. She was talented, smart, and in a new found relationship with a new found gentleman. Matthew was excited for Anne, and was even more excited to see what was in store for his not-so-little-anymore girl.

AUTHORS NOTE
so sorry for the long wait! i also update the cover and im in love with it