the root tunnels (chapter 13)

I sat in my sleeping bag watching the black night sky fading into red as the sun rose. I took some time to admire the nature around me. I should do this more often. Yeah, I may be the man of the woods but all I do in my miserable life is collecting supplies so I can survive this life of mine. The red sky began fading into the normal light blue sky that day time has, so I got out of my sleeping bag and packed it into my backpack since I suppose that we will be leaving this place soon and go further into the woods to finally get to Bergentown.

I went to wake up Poppy so she could prepare her things. "Poppy?" I sat down beside her. "Poppy?? Wake up" " just a few minutes more Dad!" Dad? I knew it was just a dream of hers but I couldn't help but find it weird. " Poppy, wake up we have to go."  " Not now Dad. Just a few moments more!" Dad? No Poppy I'm not your dad. " Poppy! Wake up we have to go!" I  noticed the Ukulele that I made for her yesterday laying beside her. It would, of course, be too awkward if she noticed it while I was near her. "Poppy I'll give you five minutes more. Meanwhile, I'm going to find some food." I stood up and left to find some food to eat for breakfast.

When I came back Poppy was awake and was playing her new ukulele. She looked up from her ukulele. "Oh, you're back!" She sat her ukulele down and ran towards me with a big smile. "Poppy what are yo- hmf-" Poppy hugged me tightly. " Thank you so much for the new ukulele! It's so cool! Apology accepted! I knew you were sweet underneath that shell!"

I blushed. "Uh, I- uh," I cleared my throat. " I found something for breakfast" I Broke out of her embrace and showed her what I found: Some blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. After we ate we left.

After walking for some time we found the escape tunnels. I looked around to find lots of abandoned bergen things laying all around the place. "The root tunnels..." I looked at the different tunnels how were we supposed to find the right one? I asked my self.
" So one of these tunnels leads to Bergentown ?" Poppy questioned. I nodded and looked Inside one of the tunnels. "There's so many of them. I wonder which one?" Poppy looked around. " I don't know" answered. "Choose a hole wisely. Cause one leads to Bergentown and the others, to certain death!" A dark voice suddenly said out of nowhere. I looked around cautiously. "Who said that?" I looked at Poppy to see if she knew something she was looking around too.  "IT was..." "Me!"  A living cloud popped out of nowhere. " Hey, guys. How is it going? I just wanted to warn you. One of these tunnels leads to Bergentown and the others to... Certain death, death, death, death" the cloud guy echoed.

"Do you think you can tell us which is the right one?" Poppy asked, " you bet!" 
" Great!-" " -No, that's ok. We're fine thanks" I interrupted Poppy.  Poppy shoved me aside. " Branch, he's trying to help us" " I don't like the looks of him." I gestured to the cloud guy who waved at us. " I mean who wears socks with no shoes?"  " He seems to know what he's talking about." Poppy argued. "
" Ok, fine." I turned to the cloud. " Which way do we go?" " First, you have to give me a high five, then I'll tell you."  I raised a brow. " What?!" Poppy jumped up and down in excitement. " Oh, oh, I love high fives! I'll do it!" She raised her hand ready to receive a high five but. " Oh, I know you'll do it, but will he?" Cloud guy pointed at me with his long blue fingers. Ugh I groaned.

Cloud guy raised his hand. " Alright Dumpy Diapers, up high!" " Nope. I don't do high fives." I shook my head. Cloud guy didn't give up. " Slap it, boss,"
" Not gonna happen." " Party on the top floor."  "Nope"
"little slappy make daddy happy" I raised a brow. " That's weird." " Come on, just one little high five."
I crossed my arms " oh, no thanks. I'm good."  " Here, just do this," Cloud guys reached to slap his own hand.
" But with your hand."  " Thank you for demonstrating, really cleared up exactly what I will Not be doing!" " Branch, It's a high five! The others lead to certain death! Get in perspective!" Poppy argued. " ONE high five, and then you'll tell us which tunnel to take, right?!"
" So easy." Cloud guy simply said not answering my question.
" Ugh. Okay, fine!"  I reached to slap his hand but he moved it away?! What?! " Whoop, too slow!"
" Too slow?" I asked in disbelief. Cloud guy laughed at his own joke. " Alright, alright, I'll let you slide with a fist bumb."

Being stupid thinking he'd do what he said I made my hand into a fist and made my fist wake way towards his. But then. " Whoop! Shark attack!" He grabbed my hand as if something was trying to eat it. " Nom, nom, nom, nom," " Yelly fish! Hand sandwich! Turkey! Snowman! Dolphin! Helicopter! Last supper! Monkey in a zoo!" Cloud guy went on with those hand shakes. " What?" " Gearshift!" Cloud guy said grabbing my arm. " VRRRRRRN, VRRRRRRN, BRRRRRRN, VRRRRRRN!" Cloud guy stopped and cracked up laughing. Poppy who was standing beside me cracked up as well. When she saw that I noticed she quickly shut.

" Okay, okay, okay, Now I'm thinking we hug?" Cloud guy said still laughing. That was when I lost my temper. I grabbed a stick nearby and broke it in two. " Grrrr!" His white body turned dark gray ( lol I almost forgot the r 😂) and rain poured out of his body. And then the big chase began. " Ahhhh!" Cloud guy screamed. " that's right, you better run cloud,  I wanna tear your little cloud arms off your cloud body and high five your face with them!" I said running right behind cloud guy.
" No, Wait! No, Branch, he's just a cloud!" Poppy screamed running after me. I couldn't catch him he was too far away from me. Ugh. " Come back here!"  Cloud guy suddenly  stopped. I realized that we didn't know where we was running to and I found myself on top of a dead tree. " Tada! We're here!" He took one piece of the stick I had in my hand and threw it away. " You guys are a lot of fun. You know, I gotta go. I got some cloud stuff to take care of. Catch you on the way back? Huh? " He began heading down into the hole we just went through and changed the pitch of his voice. " UNLESS, YOU DIE!" it echoed after him as he went away. " The trolltree." Poppy looked around. " Bergentown." I whispered also looking around.

Annnd end scene! Lol.
It's been a while I know. But see you in the next chapter also if you haven't already check out my other books. Lol IDK if you need something to read. See ya!