Bergentown (chapter 14)

As we looked around we saw the bergens doing whatever they were doing. They were singing a song about how miserable their life was.
" 🎶 I ain't happy I'm feeling glad I got sunshine in a bag. I'm useless but not for long my future is coming on"  the bergens sang off key. " Is coming on, is coming on, is coming on..." A Bergen echoed as he buried himself alive. His tombstone said R.I.P. here lies: Me.
I rolled my eyes. Wow... " Woah, they're as miserable as you." Poppy stated. I gave her a glare. They're even more miserable than me! I thought to myself. " Which means they haven't eaten a troll yet! Come on, let's go save our friends!" Poppy began running towards the castle. " Your friends!" I corrected. "Our friends. Don't fight it!"

We sneaked in through a open window and found ourselves in the middle of the castle hallway. We swinged from lamp to lamp. I heard footsteps coming into the hallway.
" Poppy! Wait!" I whisper-yelled and grabbed onto her wrist. She made her hair look like flames so we wouldn't get noticed. It was just the guards doing their tour around the castle. Once they they were gone I looked around for any possible dangers when I saw that there was no one I signalled to Poppy and we swinged all the way over to the other side of the room. And walked alongside the wall. Pictures of bergens at gatherings and bergens at trollstice was hanging above us. " So, where do you think our friends are?" Poppy asked. " If I should guess I'd say, In a bergens stomach." " Why don't you to to be positive? Just once?! Come on! You might like it." Poppy
whisper- yelled. " Ok, I'm sure they're not only alive, but also about to be delivered to us on a silver platter." I said making it obvious that I was sarcastic.  Poppy's look softened. " Thank you! That wasn't so hard, was it?" I looked at her confused. Why didn't she get my sarcastic remark? Even when I made it clear that I was sarcastic? Suddenly her hugtimewatch chimed. She gasped.
" Branch!" I wasn't so impressed.  " Hugtime? Really? Seriousl-" she put a finger on my mouth. " Shush! Look!" Lights suddenly went on in another room nearby. Oh. I should have seen that coming... Why didn't I think of that?
Maybe the hugtimewatches isn't that bad. They are actually quite useful. Ugh whatever.

We headed towards the lights and hid in a chandelier. It was the dining hall and there they were, all gathered together in a cage. The cage was carried by the Bergen chef the one who- No, don't think about that now. Ugh. I hate her so much! She was talking to a much smaller Bergen I assume that it's the king. They walked around the dining hall and talked. " It was such a great idea I had!" The king exclaimed. " It's gonna be the best trollstice ever!" Poppy and I exchanged looks. Trollstice? Really? With that few trolls they were gonna start a war over who would get to eat one. There wasn't even enough trolls in there for all of Bergentown. " Alright, Tomorrow is trollstice everyone, and it must be perfect!" Chef ordered. " It feels good to be ordering everyone around again. " Branch, look!" Poppy pointed at her friends. " They're alive?" " And they're on a silver plated too! We were both right."  Poppy said.
Chef had a box in her hands. She opened it. " And for tomorrow's occasion Your Highness, I found your old troll bib!" Chef announced taking out a orange bib from the box. " Oh, wow, " the King said exclaimed. "I bet it still fits!"  He tried to get the bib on but it was too small. The bib ripped apart and fell to the ground. " HA, HA, HA, HA, HA!"  It came from the cage. Of course it was Cooper that guy could laugh at anything. I rolled my eyes. " Shhhhh! " The others quickly warned him, but the king had already noticed. " Oh, you think that's funny?well, we'll see who's laughing when I bite your yummy head off, when I bite all your yummy heads off!" " Wait, a minute." The king said and checked the trolls in the cage. " Chef, this isn't enough yummy heads to feed all of Bergentown! How are we supposed to have trollstice if there isn't enough trolls?" Finally, they realized I thought they were stupid. " Oh, Sire, there is plenty more where those came from." She assured him. " Huh?" Poppy and I both exchanged looks.  "Are you sure? Because I promised everyone a troll."
" No, no,no, Sire, everything will be fine! If I was truly worried, would I be willing to do this?" She asked and grabbed Creep- I mean Creek.

" Creek!" Poppy exclaimed in chock and reached out her hand. Chef turned in our direction and I quickly pulled Poppy down to safety. Once I was sure she wasn't looking in our direction anyone I loosened my grip on Poppy and looked up to see what was going on. " Ooh, my first troll!" The king said amazed. " Go on, eat, King Gristle," Chef curled Creek's hair around her finger. " Enjoy your taste of true happiness." She gave the terrified purple troll to King Gristle and the male Bergen shoved it towards his mouth. " Wait," Gristle suddenly said. "Shouldn't we wait for trollstice?"  " Phew.." I said thankful that I wouldn't get to see the horrifying sight of a troll getting eaten. I heard a sigh of relief coming from beside me. It was Poppy.
" Sire, every day is Trollstice when you trolls!" She insisted. Chef took Creek and stuck him into a taco.
" Yeah, I guess."  He said and once again shoved it towards his mouth. " But my Dad said the first time should be special." He stopped again. " Well, you're the king now." Chef said clearly about to lose her temper. She took the taco and put some hot sauce on it.
" Ouch!" It came from the taco. Ouch I said to myself. This wasn't how anyone would want to end their lives and even though I hate him I knew this wasn't right. " I am the king!" He agreed. Chef then shoved the taco towards Gristle's mouth, but he stopped again. " But I think I should share this moment with all the kingdom." He announced.
" Ugh. EAT IT!" She yelled angrily as she shoved it all the way into the King's mouth making him choke.
" No!" Poppy cried. " Yes!" The chef said snapping her fingers. Some guards suddenly came dressed up in Mexican clothes while playing a Mexican tune on their trumpets. They twirled the king around towards the door. Chef smiled. She grabbed a big spoon and threw it at Bridget hitting her head. " Idget, lock these trolls in your room and guide them with your life!" She ordered. " Yes, chef,"

Poppy turned to me. " We have to save him!"  " Save him from what? His stomach?" I asked clear to the fact that he just got eaten. " We didn't see him chew, we didn't see him swallow."
Poppy pointed out.  " Face it, Poppy,  sometimes people go into other people's mouths and they don't come out. If we go after Creek now, we're going to get eaten." I told her. Poppy looked down at the direction the king went in with sad eyes. " I'm sorry, but it's too late for him." I thought that maybe this was where I should tell her about what happened to my grandma but in all my thinking I realized Poppy just jumped out of the chandelier. " Huh? Poppy!" I followed her into Bridget's apron strings which was tied tightly around her. The Bergen headed into her room.

And cut. Hope you enjoyed this chapter ❤️ see y'all in the next chapter 🙋