Happiness is inside all of us (chapter 19)

Beware this is longer than long XD.

" Now let's prepare the main course!"
Chef opened the pot again.

" The Trolls!"
She laughed evilly as she and some other bergens disrespectfully poured trolls down into the pot.

This can't be happening. Tell me this is just a bad dream. please. Well, at least I kinda get the same treatment as my grandma and my parents. Maybe I'll see them on the other side... 

" ugh." 
King Peppy was thrown down into the pot and landed on his back.

I hope he's ok.

" Poppy?"
Peppy was helped back up on his feet and ran towards his daughter.

" Poppy! thank goodness you're alright!"

Poppy looked slightly sad.

" I'm doing great!"
Poppy rolled her eyes.

" I got everybody I love thrown in a pot. Thanks for asking."

Wait- no this isn't her. Not the slightest bit. She doesn't make sarcastic remarks. She is definitely not ok.  I mean look at her.

Poppy turned her back to the orange troll.

" Poppy, are you being... sarcastic?"
Biggie asked.

Poppy turned around to face him.

" Yes!"

All the other trolls around me gasped in shock.

" I'm sorry, I don't know why I thought I could save you. All I wanted to do was to keep everyone safe like you did dad. But I couldn't."

" Poppy..."
Her dad tried.

Poppy turned away and sat down on her knees.

" I let everyone down.."

 She did keep everyone safe. She was even brave enough to face the enemy and rescue her friends. She even spoke with a bergen without even the slightest fear of getting eaten.  I sighed.

" But Poppy..."

" you were right, Branch. " 
Poppy said.

" The world isn't all cupcakes and rainbows."

I realized that all the rude things I had said to her earlier had hit her. She wasn't shrugging them off like she used to. She looked down. I don't know if I was the first to notice, but suddenly the very tip of her ears didn't look pink anymore. They were gray? Her body was slowly turning the same color as my skin. The dull color I had been too tired of all of my life. 

No, this can't be happening. The most overjoyed and positive troll in the world is turning gray. The girl that I love. That very Pink troll who always tried to cheer me up. I looked around to see a shocking discovery. 

They were all gray. every single troll. All of them. They almost looked identical to me. My family. well. The village was my family. Not necessarily a close family, but I saw all of them as my family. Nevermind how much their joy got on my nerves. 

I thought about Poppy. She always wanted me to be happy. She never gave up on me even though I kept on insulting her and crashing her invitations. She never did. She even went to me when the bergen had taken her friends. She didn't leave me alone or grew tired of me as many others did. I wanted to do the same for her. I wanted to give everything she had done to me back. 

If only I knew how...

My eyes widened in realization. I had to let go of the past. I could save Poppy from this misery, but I had to let go of the past. Nevermind how much it hurts. I do it for her. This is the only chance to get to see her sweet smile again. I knew it.