Chapter 12: Marooned

(Normal pov)

Edha Stormheart paced back and forth on the deck of the Tempest while looking towards the sky to see the smoke rising to the heavens and previous booming of cannons and exploding ships had all but died down to absolute silence, save for the sounds of seagulls crying out and the churring of the water. The younger sister of Nu Stormheart and a joint captain to her older sisters massive ship, the younger Stormheart ran a hand through her pointy, ebony hair and sighed heavily, she didn't like being left behind when it came to a fight and certainly didn't like it when Nu told her not to risk her life when she only has one arm.

Being a pirate is a risk itself. Losing a member of the body is part of trade, despite being a cunning mind, brilliant alchemist and skilled fighter, Edha is still denied to take part in raids on plantations, fending off the occasional hunters that would try to take them out or just fighting in general.

And Edha was getting sick of it.

"Ma'am! Nu, Harald and the vanguard have returned!!"

One of the men on board the Tempest cried out to Edha, the younger Stormheart raced towards the railing of the Tempest to see her sister board first. Once placing both feet on the deck of her ship, Nu nodded in acknowledgment to her little sister. "Edha, the ship is all in order?" The younger Stormheart rolled her eyes and nodded. "It always is Nu." Nodding in satisfaction at her sisters report, Nu turned to the Tempest wheelman. "Get us under way! We're not going to be able to join Harper and our brothers from the Edge, not with that British fleet still at the Edge's bay." Harald Forkbeard then boarded the Tempest and cocked his head slightly at Nu. "So captain, where to?"

"I was just getting to that Forkbeard." Nu said, she then placed two fingers in her mouth and whistled loudly, getting the attention of her crew, they all halted manning their posts to listen to their captain. "Because the British navy and its hunter escorts are blocking us from joining Harper and our brethren from the Edge, we're going to meet up with another band of pirates in Tortuga, catch our breath and see if we can figure out where exactly Harper is heading." The crew grunted in acknowledgment and then returned to their stations.

Edha grasped her sisters forearm before she could retire to her quarters, causing the older Stormheart to look at her younger sister with a raised eyebrow in question. "I'm sick of being kept on this ship when you know full well that I can handle myself in a fight. Put me on the vanguard." Nu snorted, surprised by her sisters bluntness, she then gently removed Edha's hand off her arm and replied. "You are useful to this crew my dear sister, you provide us with venom laced shot, your brilliant mind along with my own has given us great advantages during battle and you've modified our ship with armor that won't sink the Tempest. But..."

"Don't you dare!"

"...I need you on board the ship. You're the only family I have left in this world and I would never forgive myself if I granted you permission to join us in a fight and then you got yourself killed."

"Stop using that excuse to keep my grounded!!"

Edha rose to her toes, trying to make herself taller while delivering her bold words to her older sister. "We have a crew of some of the most skilled pirates in the West Indies! I've trained with every single one of them and you know I can handle myself. I'm joining the vanguard and fighting, whether you like it or not." The younger Stormheart said firmly, before retiring to her quarters.

Nu let out a heavy sigh a ran a hand through her still soaked hair, Harald approached the woman and patted her back. "I know you mean to take care of her Nu, but you know how she is." She let out a snort in agreement before lookin Forkbeard in the eyes. "She already has value to this crew, I just don't understand why she isn't satisfied with that." A barn owl suddenly appeared and landed on Harald's shoulder, causing the blond haired man to smile at the beautiful animal. "Hey there friend." Harald cooed as he caressed the owl's chest, causing the winged mammal to close its eyes and coo contently. Forkbeard then turned back to Nu and shrugged at her. "Edha will be fine, don't you worry." He then bowed his head and excused himself, all the while cooing and murmuring to his barn owl.